Voters
1193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

632 52.98%
  • No

561 47.02%
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Option to turn off "cosmetics"

Abilities and such aren't just about color, they usual have special visual effects that go with them as well. I don't think this will be an issue.
    Please read Common Discussions, Common Suggestions, Common Technical Issues, Common Bugs, and do a website search prior to making any new thread.
    Use the report () button to report flaming, illegal discussions, offensive content, excessive spam, trolling, advertising, or duplicate threads

Basic Member
    the game wont be f2p. and even if it is, there's no point in cosmetics if it can be turned off. noone will buy it then, as everyone will turn it off. so no.

Basic Member
    In the midst of a team fight, I am used to Tide Hunter being a big green dude. If I have to change what I am expecting to see in every single game, it might be distracting. I wouldn't say game breaking, but certainly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by slowreflex View Post
    Abilities and such aren't just about color, they usual have special visual effects that go with them as well. I don't think this will be an issue.
    It will definitely be an issue if some players are playing on lower settings.

I'll give 2 examples.

Currently, Maledict from Witch Doctor colors affected units purple. As we all know how Maledict works, it is actually possible to use Bottle to heal up and lessen the damage from Maledict, it could mean the difference between surviving and dying.
    If Maledict instead colors affected units light green, would the player notice it in time? That 0.5-1 second difference could mean surviving on 50 HP or death.

Another example would be Pugna's Nether Ward. It now zaps people with Green lightning. What if it was changed to blue lightning? Would it be less obvious? Maybe Pugna's teammates included Zeus and Razor? That extra zaps because no one noticed it could kill off caster heroes that have high manacost spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasheem View Post
    the game wont be f2p. and even if it is, there's no point in cosmetics if it can be turned off. noone will buy it then, as everyone will turn it off. so no.
    Why is there no point in cosmetics if it can be turned off? Obviously you think it looks cool, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it. The setting to turn it off is for people who don't think it's cool and would rather have the classic skins. If you only buy cosmetic stuff to show it off, then you are an attention whore that nobody cares about.

There are taunt animations in the hero models - multiple ones for some heroes, as well as "Use action item" and "Use taunt" binds in the settings; from that I think we can infer that taunts are likely to be added as a 'cosmetic item'. 'Action item' most probably refers to an action slot, which in Team Fortress 2 can be used for acquired taunts, consumables (noise-makers, duels) or gifts; whether there will be a dedicated taunt slot - thereby leaving the action slot for other items, or whether "Use taunt" will be for a hero-specific taunt, and cosmetic taunts used by the action slot, is of-course open to speculation....well, this whole comment is speculation.

With regards to skins/attachments for heroes, I think they would add visual noise to the game thereby potentially making the game more difficult for newbies (such as myself) to learn visually... so if they are implemented, an option to disable them I think is a must.

If cosmetics are turned off then that lowers the impact of cosmetics. Lowering the impact of cosmetics lowers the value of cosmetics. Lowering the value of cosmetics lowers the purchases of them. Lowering the purchases of them lowers the money that Valve makes.

Do you think this will happen?
    Please read Common Discussions, Common Suggestions, Common Technical Issues, Common Bugs, and do a website search prior to making any new thread.
    Use the report () button to report flaming, illegal discussions, offensive content, excessive spam, trolling, advertising, or duplicate threads

Quote Originally Posted by Degen View Post
    Why is there no point in cosmetics if it can be turned off? Obviously you think it looks cool, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it. The setting to turn it off is for people who don't think it's cool and would rather have the classic skins. If you only buy cosmetic stuff to show it off, then you are an attention whore that nobody cares about.
    To add on, I would probably buy skins for my favourite heroes and edit videos for montages with those skins. However, I do not think forcing everybody to look at my rich account skins is needed. Some people just want to play classic and focus on enjoying the game as it is. Not look at the colour of Windrunner's clothes or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by slowreflex View Post
    If cosmetics are turned off then that lowers the impact of cosmetics. Lowering the impact of cosmetics lowers the value of cosmetics. Lowering the value of cosmetics lowers the purchases of them. Lowering the purchases of them lowers the money that Valve makes.

Do you think this will happen?
    Your statement is a fallacy. Do you have actual data to back them up? Or is it only in your own opinion, that such an option will lower the value of the cosmetics?

If I buy a Top Hat and a Monocle for my Pudge I will want everyone to see them while I tear their limbs apart

And then a teabag animation macro after each kill