Voters
1193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

632 52.98%
  • No

561 47.02%
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Option to turn off "cosmetics"

TF2 does not have this option (to my knowledge). I do not think Dota 2 should have the ability to disable cosmetic items either.

Quote Originally Posted by slowreflex View Post
    Where have you seen that confirmed? I haven't.

I think you mean that they have confirmed they will have microtransactions relating to cosmetics, but that doesn't mean that the game will be free.
    http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Unrele...Cosmetic_Store

1. Heres a sneak peak of the ingame store once the game is released.
    2. League of Legends is free and look how successful that game is. 15+ million players and over a million online daily. = easy money from purchasable items.
    3. Heros of Newerth was pay 2 play and then went free to play.

Dota 2 will be free to play

+1 to op
    Report system does nothing trololol

Quote Originally Posted by d.phoenixxx View Post
    Your statement is a fallacy. Do you have actual data to back them up? Or is it only in your own opinion, that such an option will lower the value of the cosmetics?
    It's my job to know these type of things. For those that understand marketing and pricing mechanics it's quite obvious.

In more basic terms. People buy skins both for their own viewing and to brag/impress others. What you are talking about is to remove the brag/impress others impact. That lowers the value hence the equation I laid out.
    Please read Common Discussions, Common Suggestions, Common Technical Issues, Common Bugs, and do a website search prior to making any new thread.
    Use the report () button to report flaming, illegal discussions, offensive content, excessive spam, trolling, advertising, or duplicate threads

Quote Originally Posted by thehiddenbox View Post
    Dota 2 will be free to play
    Again, this has not been confirmed or denied. You can't say for certain that it's true. If you looked around these forums you would see that 2/3rds of the community doesn't want it to be F2P.
    Please read Common Discussions, Common Suggestions, Common Technical Issues, Common Bugs, and do a website search prior to making any new thread.
    Use the report () button to report flaming, illegal discussions, offensive content, excessive spam, trolling, advertising, or duplicate threads

Basic Member
    One thing to look at is Team Fortress 2, can you turn off cosmetics there? Can you do it for any other game in fact? I think that one point alone is enough to determine DotA2's future policy.

Go ahead and discuss it all you want, I highly doubt that Valve is going to short change those who spend money on their game by implementing an option like that, since you are indeed paying for the opportunity for OTHERS to see you as different from the norm. If people just wanted their own heroes to look different, then no one would pay and they would just change it themselves, through asset changes in the local client. (Yes I'm agreeing with slowreflex here.)

Another point to bring up is that Valve has shown liking with GEAR instead of SKINS (Team Fortress 2), so the hero will be the same, just ADDITIONAL items. So visually, the heroes won't be changing drastically.

Tbh, what I'm hearing is this, "Insert this function so I don't have to change." Which holds no ground.
    Last edited by Kynth; 01-26-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Yes TF2 doesn't have that option, but you can't forget that it's a shooter game and not DotA.
    In DotA with over a hundred heroes and (probably) many many cosmetics you could literally make unlimited amount of combinations, which equals ~1 sec delay for your brain to realize what's going on, on the battlefield.
    But I do agree that with a disabling option there will be less sales in cosmetics.
    But I don't understand why there must be so much focus on cosmetics as a moneymaking system? For a competitive game like DotA that's gamebreaking.

In my opinion we should approach a middle line thing

I would suggest a console command that would disable those custom cosmetics (That means no official button in the setting). That way most of the people will have the cosmetics ON, while the angry and frustrated nerds have an option to take them away
    Last edited by Slaps; 01-26-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d.phoenixxx View Post
    Your statement is a fallacy. Do you have actual data to back them up? Or is it only in your own opinion, that such an option will lower the value of the cosmetics?
    His statement is not a fallacy, because it has not been proven either way. However, how would allowing everyone to disable cosmetics not lower their value? The only purpose of them is for appearance, so why would someone buy it if others might not see it? It would certainly give some people pause.

I'm worried about cosmetics because, as others have said, it makes it more difficult to recognize skills and heroes. Dota has so many skills, effects, and models that there aren't really a ton of available effects/designs that won't look like another effect/design at first glance. If Freezing Field is now orange, will players know that it's Fancy Freezing Field, or will they think "WTF skill is that?"

Quote Originally Posted by 7_ShininGAngel View Post
    Yes TF2 doesn't have that option, but you can't forget that it's a shooter game and not DotA.
    In DotA with over a hundred heroes and (probably) many many cosmetics you could literally make unlimited amount of combinations, which equals ~1 sec delay for your brain to realize what's going on, on the battlefield.
    But I do agree that with a disabling option there will be less sales in cosmetics.
    But I don't understand why there must be so much focus on cosmetics as a moneymaking system? For a competitive game like DotA that's gamebreaking.
    Ive got a bright idea that will solve this problem.

Since skins/cosmetics will be bought using cash.

Allow others to purchase a "TURN EVERYTHING BACK INTO CLASSIC" Option. You can sell that to me for $15 and Ill buy it.

Cost effective solution right? O_o

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Degen View Post
    Why is there no point in cosmetics if it can be turned off? Obviously you think it looks cool, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it. The setting to turn it off is for people who don't think it's cool and would rather have the classic skins. If you only buy cosmetic stuff to show it off, then you are an attention whore that nobody cares about.
    You're missing the point.
    I will not buy any cosmetics, disable option or not. But I'm sure nobody will, if there is an option to disable it.