632 52.98%
  • No

561 47.02%
Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Option to turn off "cosmetics"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

[Suggestion] Option to turn off "cosmetics"

Well, I understand that Valve will definitely be considering going the F2P model.

This will mean heroes will have different skins/colors, courier looks different, and whatever else Valve can creatively put in. Maybe even different abilities will look different. (For example, Veno's Ultimate being Red instead of Green.)

However, I hope that while Valve can let people choose and pay for these cosmetics as a way of earning money for the game, there can be an option, perhaps in Settings, that allow players to be able to turn off all the cosmetics, and let them look like the original game without changes.

The reason I suggest this option to turn off cosmetics is because of game balance and player satisfaction.

While some might find a Tidehunter with Killer Whale colors interesting Attachment 3023, others might find it absolutely ugly to look at.
    Furthermore, what if someone used a skin for Earthshaker that makes him look greenish, and this allows him to camouflage better around the trees?
    Regarding game balance, imagine if I have a blue Faceless Void or Viper, then I proceeded to take a Double Damage rune. It wouldnt be very apparant that my hero has DD until it is too late for the opposing team.

However, if the player is comfortable with the cosmetics changes, he can always choose to leave the option on.

Just a thought. Discuss!

EDIT: More evidence of unnecessary cosmetics.
    http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/03/do...-schema-update
    Last edited by d.phoenixxx; 03-17-2012 at 03:07 AM.

Basic Member
    Hm. Interesting idea. I just don't see it happening though. The reason being that people buy cosmetics so that 1) they will change the way their stuff looks, and 2) other people will see those changes. A good example from LoL is that you can download and install custom skins for your characters, but other people won't see them. I know a lot of people who don't even bother with those custom skins, even though it would make their character personally more enjoyable to look at, because other people won't see it as well. Good post though!

Quote Originally Posted by LameSaint View Post
    Hm. Interesting idea. I just don't see it happening though. The reason being that people buy cosmetics so that 1) they will change the way their stuff looks, and 2) other people will see those changes. A good example from LoL is that you can download and install custom skins for your characters, but other people won't see them. I know a lot of people who don't even bother with those custom skins, even though it would make their character personally more enjoyable to look at, because other people won't see it as well. Good post though!
    Well, the thing is, the option is only affecting you, meaning for example,

In a game of 10 players, probably 4 players have cosmetics. However, there is this 1 player who doesnt like the cosmetics effects, therefore, he set his option to off, allowing him to play with the original settings.
    This doesnt mean the other 4 players will lose their cosmetics, it just means that 1 player wont see them.

Besides, if you buy a skin, you are mainly buying it for yourself to look at. Why should another player be forced to see it?

Regarding game balance, imagine if I have a blue Faceless Void or Viper, then I proceeded to take a Double Damage rune. It wouldnt be very apparant that my hero has DD until it is too late for the opposing team.

Quote Originally Posted by d.phoenixxx View Post
    What about Morphling, Spirit Breaker, Drow Ranger, Ancient Apparition and several others? Their standard colour scheme is mainly blue, after all, so they would already have this 'advantage'. If I am going to be terrible honest, this argument is extremely weak.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Hefaistus View Post
    What about Morphling, Spirit Breaker, Drow Ranger, Ancient Apparition and several others? Their standard colour scheme is mainly blue, after all, so they would already have this 'advantage'. If I am going to be terrible honest, this argument is extremely weak.
    But everyone will already be used to the default skins' colour, and Morphling, Spirit Breaker, Drow all dont look like DD blue.

The thing is, Dota has so many different skills and abilities. If we throw in 3 skins for every single hero, it would be very confusing to some players.

Its not only about rune colors, just imagine "Urn charges damage, heals, Pipe, Meka, Maledict buff color, Rupture color" etc.

Basic Member
    votet for YES, but i think it need more than an yes/no setting
    from my point of view, disabling all other skins, exept the one I WANTED for MY heroes because I LIKED how these particular skins looked on MY favorite heroes
    why would i want to customize dota2 if i am forced to look at other(from my point of view ugly) skins anyway?

the other major point are as always my balls, i have some, so i naturally dont give a fuck to look pretty for some dudes in a game(i do sometimes irl though, since u cant always hit the right mixture of pills and alcohol)

http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/03/do...-schema-update

More evidence of unnecessary cosmetics.

Basic Member
    Definable agree. The original aesthetic of TF2 was ruined by all the ridiculous hats. Of course I would play on servers where people didn't wear purple top hats but it would be even better to have the option to turn them off.

Basic Member
    Definetly, I think there should be a mode where you get to play real tournament dota, without anything fancy, just the raw stuff...

bump for increased relevance.
    He's the hero this community deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt his identity, because he can take it, because he's not our hero. He's a silent buffer, a watchful nerfer. An IceFrog.

My Speedtest Result