Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: All Dota 2 GUI Settings - autoexec.cfg reference

Basic Member
    Hey, so I just did some testing the other day here: https://old.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comme...sn&sh=6d21fa29

Someone suggested updating the rate 80000 to rate 200000. So I decided to take it a step further. I would highly suggest you to do some testing yourself if you want to see its effect. Going from a low rate like 80000 to 500000 really seriously changed how much lag their is in game when there is a large group of abilities and illusions going off (think MK ult, naga mirror image, PL illusions, spectre ult AND TB reflection with his illus). I did some tested after that video I made. I normally use 256000, and I blinked in to 20~ TB illu and used reflection twice. I did the same with 500000. In the first it took ~4 seconds to recover from my screen freezing, in the second it took 1 second. It's not necessary but it really does change a lot of how those abilities and heroes affect the game smoothness.
    Someone else posted this: (bandwidth it takes for specific rate settings)
    .5 Mbps rate 62500
    1.0 Mbps rate 125000
    1.5 Mbps rate 187500
    1.57 Mbps rate 196608
    2.0 Mbps rate 250000
    2.5 Mbps rate 312500
    3.0 Mbps rate 375000
    3.5 Mbps rate 437500
    4.0 Mbps rate 500000
    4.5 Mbps rate 562500
    5.0 Mbps rate 625000
    5.5 Mbps rate 687500
    6.0 Mbps rate 750000
    6.2 Mbps rate 786432 - CSGO cap
    6.5 Mbps rate 825000
    7.0 Mbps rate 950000
    7.2 Mbps rate 1000000

However (I haven't tested this its just a hypothesis) I believe that setting it to the max of 1000000 won't actually negatively affect all that much. The only time this rate limit is ever approached is during heavy teamfight or those slew of abilities and heroes I mentioned earlier. In those cases, I think what would happen is a ping spike or packet loss, I am not sure how long this would persist after since almost every time I've tested this, the spike happened for a VERY short period of time. I'd say at least mention that raising rate will reduce the lag from those abilities and give someone the option to set their own at their discretion.
    Last edited by Doofyrob; 10-10-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Not really news for me, I have personally been using 800000 (10x) for years, not that I ever felt an improvement, but just because I always had great connection.

Long time ago I also set it in my shared cfg to 800000 (10x)
    and got plenty of complains about making the game unplayable (specially for custom games where peer2peer matters a lot).

Then I've added an ultra preset with 160000 (2x) in older shared cfg (the amazing for that time d-optimizer - RIP),
    and people started complaining about the game consuming more bandwidth per hour played, going above their data caps.

In recent shared cfg versions I've set it to default and also dropped other network changes to a minimum (since tweaking it can either go very good or very bad).

A bit surprised it makes any/that much difference, since server tickrate, updaterate and cmdrate would clamp it way lower.
    I suspect if this actually works and gets popular, servers are gonna start lagging for everybody like mad.
    Higher rates need higher server tickrate, period. Without it, it must be something wrong, or the server cvars have changed?
    In any case, it needs proper testing in the real world with actual human peers, not an empty server with bots.

Basic Member
    okay im just making sure it was known as a possibility. I've only noticed big improvements in games with huge abilities (these games are uncommon) but even in PL vs TB games, spectating pro games of just those 2, going from 80000 to 200000 is a huge difference in recovery. anything after that is minimal improvements

i did not think of the p2p connection for rate, that would cause problems for sure.

as long as you know about the possibility of it affecting lag, all the matters really - i might do tests with full lobbies of people, ill post anything here if/when i do it

Basic Member
    hello again I have a problem

Full screen dota - can not play on 80 hz, only 60 or 70 hz available

I give you example -
    I got 1920x1080 @70 hz
    and 1280x720 @ 80hz

But for some reasons, dota only show 70 hz (and standart 60 hz)

Tryed to change desktop resolutions, swap resolutions, create different nvidia profiles etc. - nothing changes.

I forced to play in borderless because of this."C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\game\bin\win64\dota2.exe" -dx9 -dxlevel 95 -nod3d9ex -mainthreadpriority 1 -nofocus -novr -nohltv

There's no such problem in CSGO (I can play on any resolution and refresh rate I want with -freq command)

But how can I solve this problem in Dota 2? Thank you.

Yeah, -freq has been removed from Dota 2 a long time ago.
    You could try manually editing \steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\game\dota\cfg\video.txt
    and add your frequency there under "setting.refreshrate_numerator"

Or you could get Display Changer then create a new shortcut with target something like:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\12noon Display Changer\dc.exe" -width=1280 -height=720 -depth=max -refresh=max "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\game\bin\win64\dota2.exe" -fullscreen -nogammaramp -dx11 -720p
    Adjust to your paths of course. I've put max for -refresh, you can set it there to 80 or whatever works.

And a big fat warning about your use of -nod3d9ex with fullscreen - it's not recommended, you can get locked out of both the game and the desktop after alt-tab.
    For fullscreen mode, -dx11 is recommended as it has proper handling of alt-tab as well as proper vsync, but you can use -dx9 as well, just without -nod3d9ex!

Basic Member
    Display Changer method actually works. Thank you.

Worked with -force. Also changed path of program to shorter and remove some additional commands from dota - because number of symbol extension.

My final "cut":

C:\1\2\dc.exe -width=1280 -height=720 -depth=max -refresh=80 -force "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\game\bin\win64\dota2.exe" -dx11 -mainthreadpriority 1 -nofocus -novr -nohltv -nojoy -usetcp -uselocalweb -high -language russian