Thread: testsing ground courier run broken ingame very jittery

Basic Member

testsing ground courier run broken ingame very jittery

When testing the courier ingame the run animation on the ground courier is broken. it shows a jittery mess like the model is playing a frame of the animation and switching to the bind pose. It jitters between these as the courier moves to the point you clicked on the map. flying version works fine. behaves as expected.

Basic Member
    discovered: removing SMD turn poses returned the walk to normal.

its odd how both flying and ground both had smd turn poses yet it broke the ground movement only.

next i will test if turn poses have been fixed to work with FBX. and if this causes the same issue.
    Last edited by Pale-Face; 03-08-2016 at 12:38 AM.

Basic Member
    fbx turn poses create the same issue.

Bug is created when using Turn pose mesh's. the ground couriers movement becomes a jittery mess.

Basic Member
    This is still broken as of the latest "Spring Cleaning" update.

View issue here: https://youtu.be/p5zdjL1Mg_4

- issue does not appear if ground turn poses are removed.
    - issue is not apparent on flying version of courier
    - issue is related to ground run animation and ground turn poses.

Valve Developer
    We sometimes see this jittering if a turn pose has been exported with the incorrect orientation, which can happen in some exporters even if the character has the correct orientation in the source file. Can you open the actual turn files generated by your exporter to check the orientation? If the character is rotated incorrectly, such as tilted back with the nose up, experiment with different export orientation settings if these are available in your export plug in and see if you can find a setting that exports with the correct orientation. Make sure your character's model bind pose also exports with the correct orientation. If the model/bind pose is oriented incorrectly, it can affect hitboxes as well as animations. And obviously, for turn poses make sure you are exporting just one frame for each direction. If you still have problems with this, it would help to know what package you are using to create your model and animation and what plug-in you are using to do your exports.

Basic Member
    Hey Valve thanks for looking into this.
    - Main oddity: flying version works fine and was exported the same way as ground version. Yet the ground version is displaying the issue.
    - All ground FBX turn poses and bind poses were re-imported into Maya.
    - From here it was checked if model was facing the correct way. All models imported with the correct orientation. "Y" up.
    - All turn poses only have one key on frame 1.
    - It was tested if only exporting the Skelton would help/change anything. (As opposed to skeleton + mesh) It didn’t.
    - None of the above helped. The jitter remained.
    - Removing only the ground turn poses from the workshop importer returns run animation back to normal without the jitter.

I'm using Maya 2015 SP6
    - Exporting using “FBX Exporter 2015.1 for Maya 2015.2” With Export Settings:
    - FBX File Format: Binary
    - Version: FBX 2014

Basic Member
    If it helps I have submitted my files for this in a Source 2 update here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=426634028 . This might help you narrow down the issue. Let me know if you need any extra files or if i can help in any way.

Valve Developer
    The run animations have to be authored with the courier moving forward. Animations authored staying at origin cause jitters and other problems when our system applies motion extraction. There's more information on our new courier workshop guide: https://support.steampowered.com/kb/...riers#movement