Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Alternate attacks for ranged heroes when in melee range

[Suggestion] Alternate attacks for ranged heroes when in melee range

yes, I got this idea from sc2 (hydralisks).

Like wouldn't it be cool if Mirana's tiger attacked when close up to the target? And I really want my furion to start smackin bitches in the face with his staff.

*Obviously this wouldn't apply to heroes with bows or nothing to melee with (ie viper, storm).

other (but not all) heroes that this could work for are:

vs (disk blade thingy)
    sf (big claws, long arms)
    cm (staff)
    chen (wolf)
    nortrom (glaive)

edit : To everyone who is saying: "it needs to have the same timing, it needs to not affect gamepley, it needs to not change the attack balance".

I promise that I understand this. Gameplay and balance definitely need to come first. I believe the Valfrog understands this deeply as well. Do not worry!

edit 2: if you like this idea, +1 the thread so new members or players who have never visited the dev forums before can see it!

edit 3: This by no means should take priority over bug fixing and actual development. This would simply be something, like the injured animations, fun and trivial, but it makes the game that much more polished and enjoyable.

BIG EDIT 4:

An issue has been brought up regarding when melee attacks miss because their targets moves out of range for one reason or another. This would cause problems with how my ranged hero with a melee attack suggestion would work.

My response -

One possible solution would be to let the attack miss like a normal melee attack. But this would affect gameplay and none of us want that.

Another solution could be to only use my suggestion in replays and in spectator mode. In real time, the players' clients would not use my suggestion to ensure the gameplay is maintained. But each attack by a ranged hero could be verified to have landed within melee range, so then later when that attack happens again in the spectator mode or a replay, the viewers clients can use my suggestion. This is completely possible because this is what the directed perspective already does (analyzes the game to determine where the camera should be placed in the viewers client). This would mean that you would never see my suggestion while playing but only while watching. Its not too big a deal since its purely eye candy anyway. When your concentrating while playing, you might not notice anyway. But if you see it while spectating, it is more easilly noticed and makes the game overall that much more awesome.
    Last edited by SAK_ATAK; 04-25-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Basic Member
    +1, I'd really love to see this. Have Necro scythe everything lol. Though it'd be a lot of work with all the ranged heroes in the game :P

Basic Member
    It would be nice,that would give something different...but I dont think they will do it..Its out of to do list and I dont think it will get in..Its something very hard..

Yes, an example can be seen in the dota 2 trailer, where the Drow hits creeps with the bow itself in melee range.

Its completely possible, and if it was any other developer other than Valve I wouldnt have suggested it. But since Valve is so awesome and has already put in all these little eye-candies, sound-candies, fun animations, and other stuff, I can definitely see them doing this. I mean come on, there is no reason for Invoker to call himself Carl. But the community put it forth, everyone loved it, and there it is.

TL;DR
    Valve is uber awesome. They have already implemented unnecessary, but uber awesome things. They should do this.

Basic Member
    +1

So are we copying Roaches and Hydralisks from StarCraft 2 now?

The problem is, there are projectiles in this game and they affect balance (can be disjointed, trigger some things, etc) so even at melee range, there has to be a invisible projectile. Plus seeing the tiger try to hit a creep just over the ramp and see "miss" might look lame.

Quote Originally Posted by AzianStrider View Post
    Other games did that first. It's a pretty logical aesthetic decision.

I love the idea, but it has balance issues, I mean some strong heros have a shitty animations to limit it. They'd have to get the timing exact and the swing to look fairly similar.

Quote Originally Posted by AzianStrider View Post
    All of DotA (1) was nothing but an altered blizzard product. Besides, games take ideas from each other all the time. Blizzard giving ranged units melee ranged attacks was a good idea. I mean do you really think every feature of every game was uniquely thought of by it's developers? I myself am part of a group that's developing a Bastion inspired game. I would like to think that game dev's pay eachother compliments by implementing something that they see is really cool.