Thread: Replay sizes

Basic Member

Replay sizes

Hello,
    Basically the replay sizes are pretty huge, it is making it very difficult for us to embed them on our site dotareplays.org.
    Also for people who don't have fast pc's it is difficult for them aswell.

Could you please find a way to shrink the size also if you are working on a fix or not.

The replays are a recording of the server's view of the game. They average around 20MB compressed for a 45 minute game. Even on slow connections (such as 150K/sec) you can download that in less than two minutes.

One reason the replays are a little larger is they record the entire game regardless of the fog of war and also store the mouse movements, camera positions and UI interaction of all the players.

I'm always looking for ways to reduce the amount of network traffic used by the game (and replays are a recording of this traffic).

it is normal size.

dont delete any thing plz

Can we parser replay file like PD ???
    sorry for my bad English ...

From Vietnam with Love - Lagest DOTA 2 Community in Vietnam: DotA-2.Vn

So when you download one replay, you get in total 11 replays. One main replay and 10 FPVoDs. 22 mb/11 = 2 MB for one replay

Basic Member
    Nowadays everybody should be able to download a 20mb file without any problems. 5 years ago these amounts of files where not normal, but now everybody is downloading stuff like crazy and fast connections are normal.

Like Zoid said, it's a tradeoff. Larger size means more shiny replay functions like the First Person perspectives. It's worth it IMO.

I wonder how much of the file size is due to the first person views. This makes me wonder if it would be beneficial to allow downloading of a replay without that feature. Two download options... or a bunch of checkboxes for first person, first person for a specific player, voice chat, commentary, etc. Unless of course the replays can't be compiled dynamically like that.

Basic Member
    honestly, 20mb is nothing, considering most people i know can download a 350mb torrent in under 15 minutes, 20mb is negligible.