Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: List of things broken by the console update that should be implemented into the game

List of things broken by the console update that should be implemented into the game

This is a cross-post of this reddit thread.

With the new keybinds/settings added in the previous updates, it seems Valve is going in the direction of expanding the in-game config/settings as opposed to modifying allowed console inputs to only prevent ability/item macros. (The latter would be ideal, but it's understandable that there may be technical limitations)

While the recent additions of settings and configurations are steps in the right direction, there are however still many configurations and functionalities no longer possible without the use of third-party tools.

For reference, I've also included the now-defunct autoexec implementations. (still possible in lobbies with cheats)

Individual Self-Cast Hotkeys

Code:
    bind KEY "dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 0"
    bind KEY "dota_item_execute 0; dota_item_execute 0"
    Just as people want separate bindings for regular cast and quick-cast, the "Smart Double Tap" option isn't enough: not everyone who wants a hotkey for self-casting want it to be on an ``ALT`` modifier.

Individual Hotkeys for Regular- and Quick-Attack

Code:
    bind KEY1 "dota_settings_quick_target_attack 0; mc_attack"
    bind KEY2 "dota_settings_quick_target_attack 1; mc_attack"
    Regular attack commands are to quick-attacks as regular ability casting is to quick-casting. It would make sense for anyone with separate bindings for regular- and quick-casting to also have separate bindings for regular- and quick-attacks.

Locking Camera on Currently Selected Unit

Code:
    bind KEY +center
    alias +center "dota_camera_lock 1"
    alias -center "dota_camera_lock 0"
    The recently added "Hold Select to Follow Hero" option is similar, but has two important differences from a dedicated "Center Camera on Currently Selected Unit" command that former League of Legends players would be dependent on. Firstly, "Hold Select to Follow Hero" doesn't override edge-panning, and doesn't recenter the camera if interrupted by middle mouse button camera movements. Secondly and most importantly, "Hold Select to Follow Hero" only centers the camera on your hero, so it isn't useful when trying to control any other unit.

Personally, as a former LoL player, missing having this function has especially now made playing Dota very, very difficult to get used to.

Binding Commands as a Combination of Keys (Modifier Keys)

Code:
    bind SPACE +space_modifier
    alias +space_modifier "exec space_config.cfg"
    alias -space_modifier "exec regular_config.cfg"
    // space/regular cfgs being sets of key bindings (e.g. in space: bind Q dota_ability_execute 0, in regular: bind Q dota_ability_quickcast 0)
    Allowing players to remap``ALT`` to another key is just a band-aid solution to Dota's modifier key inflexibility. Although remapping ``ALT`` does allow for people to make, for example, ``SPACE`` modifier keybinds, it comes with the extra baggage of also remapping pinging, alt-clicking, and no-pathfinding move commands. Additionally, not all people want some of their hotkeys on one, and only one modifier.

While it may not be realistic to change ``SHIFT``, ``CTRL``, and ``ALT`` from their unique functions, allowing commands to be bound as a combination of keys without having to remap ``ALT`` would go a long way to improving Dota's configurability. (and even better would be allowing such to be done via the console without having to jump through the now-defunct hoops)

Shop Hold Toggle

Code:
    bind KEY +shop
    alias +shop "toggleshoppanel"
    alias -shop "toggleshoppanel"
    Hold a hotkey to open the shop, release the hotkey to close the shop.

One Key to Toggle All Auto-Castable Spells

Code:
    bind KEY "dota_ability_autocast 0; dota_ability_autocast 1; dota_ability_autocast 2; dota_ability_autocast 3; dota_ability_autocast 4; dota_ability_autocast 5"
    In a regular Dota game, every hero in the game can only have at most one auto-castable ability (e.g. Frost Arrows, Bloodlust). Some people bind the toggle for that one ability to the same key at the start of each game, but it makes more sense to just have one key toggle everything.

Multiple Chat Wheels

Code:
    // with mousewheel scrolling between chat wheels
    bind KEY "+chatwheel; cw_0"
    bind mwheeldown "cw_next"
    bind mwheelup "cw_prev"
    alias cw_0 "alias cw_next cw_1; alias cw_prev cw_9; chat_wheel_phrase_0 44; chat_wheel_phrase_1 68; chat_wheel_phrase_2 51; ..."
    // ...
     alias cw_9 "alias cw_next cw_2; alias cw_prev cw_0; chat_wheel_phrase_0 22; chat_wheel_phrase_1 23; chat_wheel_phrase_2 2; ..."
    The chat wheel is one of the best features of Dota, significantly speeding up communication for those who don't want to use voice chat. Having only eight phrases is however restrictive; but there's no reason to inhibit players from having more than one chat wheel.

Ideally, people should be able to configure as many chat wheels as they want, and have them either be bound to their own individual keys, or have them be able to be cycled through with the mouse wheel.

This list is by no means exhaustive. I encourage any affected by the recent changes to share anything I've missed.

Thanks for reading!

Leveling skills by holding ctrl
    Code:
    alias +learn dota_ability_learn_mode; 
    alias -learn dota_ability_learn_mode;
    bind ctrl +learn;
    I dont even know why its not default behavior
    it's pretty easy to learn wrong ability without highlighting

Leveling skills by holding ctrl is default. I use it all the time and I didn't use autoexec.
    Please, just call me buny.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuqlearzacid View Post
    Code:
    alias +learn dota_ability_learn_mode; 
    alias -learn dota_ability_learn_mode;
    bind ctrl +learn;
    I dont even know why its not default behavior
    it's pretty easy to learn wrong ability without highlighting
    Key point made bold above.

But this used to generate unwanted results in the past like sticky learn mode - there is nothing more annoying than that.
    And it was very easy to get into it: if pressing esc/default learn key while ctrl was held. Not to mention aliases making use of a cancel function.
    So... let this one go.

Basic Member
    I can't bind my spacebar to camera follow anymore, and although it's not a habit I should lean on (I free cam mostly) I love having the option to toggle it and now I can't and it's awful.

Basic Member
    I miss my multiple chat wheels, please bring them back.

UP

Basic Member
    I haven't cried about it on forums for a week now. Bump. *sigh*

Basic Member
    Aaand here goes another week

Basic Member
    Here goes another week.