Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Killstreak Announcer Needs To Be Changed

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shengar View Post
    Use Gabe voice for this
    Nuff said people, nuff said
    I would buy that, instantly.

Anyhow, I'm like 99% sure they'll create new announcer packs once the shop goes live, similar to HoN.
    I'm personally one of the opinion that the whole "pwned x's head" and the ancient UT announcer are really rather out of date and embarrassing as well. I don't mind it much, but I'd love an option to make it a bit more normal. Quite frankly any modern game wouldn't be able to get away with it if it hadn't been for DotA's rather special roots, though I understand some people want to keep it that way.

The killstreaks, they are from epic games unreal tournament and have copyrights on it. It's pretty expensive.
    Valve is looking to use it with business in mind and thus have to pay royalties.
    It's a pretty ancient voice pack and the guys at Epic are pretty cool guys, believe me they'll have paid a lot less than your word usage would make it seem.

Basic Member
    Agreed. Both the "pwnd" and the announcer feel very out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by looldude View Post
    http://thesaurus.com/browse/kill

All of these words are better than "pwned".
    I have to agree with this.

"pwned" sounds so childish and immature.
    SEARCH FUNCTION, SEARCH FUNCTION, SEARCH FUNCTION. DAMNIT.

Banned
    I agree, the announcers could be better.
    Those voices were from Unreal Tournament and are fitting for a much faster paced game than Dota.

Basic Member
    I Like the original voice overs, but it would make everyone happy to have options!

using the UT99 voices for kill announcements has been around for years and years in dota1 as well as pwned in the message. I'm all for flexibility on this front though where a user can change the announcer or change pwned to something that suits them. I've already seen some people editing text strings for hero names.

Personally I like the announcer but I also played alot of UT99 back in the day. I also have played alot of DotA1 so I don't feel it is out of place at all, but yeh as I said, there is room for flexibility here. I'd rather not see paying for announcer packs, they weren't like that when you could do that in UT2K4, but then the industry hadn't taken on this whole micro-transaction impulse purchase craze as much as it has now.

Basic Member
    I fully agree with the OP about the quality of the killstreak-announcements. People are just being nostalgic. The sounds are over a decade old, sound terrible and do not fit the setting and production value of the rest of the game. AND the whole "pwned someones head" is also outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voshond View Post
    Agreed. Both the "pwnd" and the announcer feel very out of place.
    Yup, you put it in a nutshell.
    Last edited by Cymen; 02-23-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Basic Member
    The quality is horrible, but UT announcer is a part of Dota. May be remake them with John St. John?

Also, Triple Kill sounds very, very bad.

The killstreak sounds are both old-meme-ish and nostalgic at the same time
    I say keep them though, nostalgia is a huge factor for me and many gamers, the new players won't hate those sounds I'm sure, and actual haters are gonna hate either way

Well Tobi openly admitted he just spent a week recording announcer voice lines... Rumor officially started...
    Please read Common Discussions, Common Suggestions, Common Technical Issues, Common Bugs, and do a website search prior to making any new thread.
    Use the report () button to report flaming, illegal discussions, offensive content, excessive spam, trolling, advertising, or duplicate threads