Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Some heroes don't have any reference to their real name in either lore or flavor text

Some heroes don't have any reference to their real name in either lore or flavor text

As thread title states, some heroes are missing information about their real name (not in their lore nor flavor text). For example, we do not know that Anti-Mage's real name is Magina or that Batrider is called Jin'zakk. It's not a problem for those with knowledge of Dota 1, but their names should be mentioned for the new players.

So far, I have spotted the following heroes without any reference to their real name

Anti-Mage
    Batrider
    Invoker
    Enigma

I think it's intentional, but I don't really understand why. For example Invoker did have his name (Garral) in his bio, but it got removed in the last patch.
    Last edited by pramo; 02-07-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Basic Member
    Maybe because these heroes havent got the same names as in DotA 1.But they should have information about their names.

Invoker says his name in his voice lines (it's Carl, by the way).
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

Basic Member
    Invoker's original name was Kael the Invoker, and different versions of dota played around with the name to things like Carl, Kal-El, etc.

On topic, they reduced many of the heroes' names to a shorter form to "prevent confusion" (i.e. Furion the Nature's Prophet -> Nature's Prophet, etc). Some names were also copyrighted so they couldn't use them (mostly in the case of items). Personally I think that if there wasn't a copyright issue, they should keep the full original name. I liked it better.

Basic Member
    Maybe devs have other plans.
    Well, names would be nice since most heroes have them.
    One thing though, Jin'zakk is a Warcraft lore character (afaik he's present in WoW), so we won't have that.

AM's name was horrible, and as for me it's a good sign that they removed it.
    Batrider must still be a WIP, since Jin'zakk is an extremely warcraftish name.
    Invoker's issue has already been stated - he's Garral, but in the VO he's Carl, and he used to be Kael, whawhawha
    Enigma, for one, does not need a name. He is Enigma. An Enigma.

Basic Member
    Well afaik they all have their old Dota 1 name, except Invoker (who's called Garral now)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefaistus View Post
    Invoker says his name in his voice lines (it's Carl, by the way).
    Carl is not his real name, it's a joke due to what was claimed to be a DOTA 1 patch note log *I think it was fake but I'm not entirely sure* in chinese that were leaked being google translated where Kael's name was translated as Carl. Icefrog most likely added it for fun and to mess with people, the horror of it all I say!
    Last edited by Sn1pe; 02-09-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337_n00b View Post
    AM's name was horrible, and as for me it's a good sign that they removed it. Enigma, for one, does not need a name. He is Enigma. An Enigma.
    I'm not fond of Anti-Mage's old name either, but they should at least give him a new one that suits his background story. As for Enigma, I guess being nameless would fit his story. Though wasn't his name Darchrow in the original Dota?