Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bane (Valve Lore)

Bane (Valve Lore)

When the gods have nightmares, it is Bane Elemental who brings them. Also known as Atropos, Bane was born from the midnight terrors of the goddess Nyctasha--a force of fear too powerful to be contained by sleep, he surfaced from her slumbers, fed upon her immortality, and stole his vaporous form from her inky blood. He is the essence of fear. Mortals who hear his voice hear their darkest secrets whispered to them. He calls to the hidden fear in every Hero's heart. Wakefulness is no protection, for Bane's black blood, continuously dripping, is like a tar that traps his enemies in nightmare. In the presence of Atropos, every Hero remembers to fear the dark.

This fits pretty much what I have considered Atropos to be. The personification of FEAR. But who is/was the goddess Nyctasha? Who's goddess was she? Guess she was not that immortal after all if her own nightmares ended up killing her.

Feels to me like Bane is the evil counterpart to Puck: the essence of fear and nightmares versus the eternally childish, juvenile, dreamy and "puckish" creature.

I feel like it might be a good idea to throw out the Atropos name. Feels weird to have Zeus's lore be so faithful to the classical mythology, while a being named Atropos is almost entirely unrelated to the Moirae.

Insert Darth Vader NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Don't throw out Atropos

We don't have to copy greek myth, borrowing stuff is easily good enough, people have never been bothered by this before and he has been Atropos for years. And if we want to we can link the goddess Nyctasha to the role Atropos played in Greek Mythology. i still wanna know who she is or what she did anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chairraider View Post
    people have never been bothered by this before and he has been Atropos for years.
    Lots of people (myself, for instance) have never cared before because it simply wasn't worthwhile. The WC3 lore is a complete catastrophe and I see DOTA2 as an opportunity for significant improvement.

Anyways, on the subject of names, there are several in WC3 DotA that make no sense at all -- Templar Assassin is neither particularly a templar nor does she assassinate them. Shadow Demon is named Eredar, which is a race in the Warcraft universe, not to mention that this was while he was using a gnoll as a model (at least now he is an Eredar, even though it's the equivalent of Lina being named "Human"). I wouldn't mind a little cleanup in this regard, tweaking a name here or there when it doesn't make sense seems reasonable. Furion was changed to Nature's Prophet, everybody has seemed pretty cool with that so far.

I'd be content with Atropos if it ties back a little bit to the mythology, but using the name without it feels awkward to me, like having a crossbow named Excalibur.
    Last edited by Otter; 09-09-2011 at 09:29 PM.

The name Atropos come from the word 'Atropa', which is the name of a deadly kind of Nightshade, that causes hallucination, coma and death. 'Atrope belladona' = deadly nightshade.

I don't think we can tie Atropos to the greek mythology, he doesn't look like a sister of fate. He could've been a nameless thing (most of his victims died before they could give him a name) until Zeus found it and named it with one of the sisters' name, because he's as ugly/deadly/inflexible as her.

Translator
    It should also feast on Zeus's nightmares

Perhaps just make it a female and swap the name from atropos, to atropa, or any other female ending. (i'm aware that A endings are male in greek)
    Perhaps something with the moira can be done...

Something along the line: Be wary this fiend Grips the very thread of life.

Basic Member
    In the presence of Atropos, every Hero remembers to fear the dark.
    Should be Night Stalkers line

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoKi View Post
    Should be Night Stalkers line
    The dark and the night are two different things