Page 5 of 362 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Commend/Report/Low Priority/Mute Feedback

Adding rewards would kind of defeat the purpose, it would make people less honest. And for skill you have ranking. The commendations are set up to be a reflection of your attitude toward other players, which is really the most important thing to build a good community.

I would much rather play with a beginner who wants to learn and listens to good advice than a pro player who does his own thing and ignores everyone. A good attitude is its own reward, and its something that none of the other games in this genre even attempt to encourage.

Also, it would be counterproductive to punish people for not being helpful or social. You cant force that sort of thing. But simple positive feedback does help.

On Xbox they have \ "Avoid this player" or "Prefer this player" feedback. Couldn't Dota 2 have something like that. Say a player is just really pessimitic, complaining and whining. I don't ever want to play with him again, but is it verbal abuse? This is the sort of thing that will turn people off from the game (I think saw it happen before my eyes), meaning Valve loses money. So I'd think they want this reported somehow.

And to agree with Almadiel you don't judge player skill by commendation. Would we try to determine whether Na'vi is the best team by how many commendations they get or by whether they win tournaments?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angeloificationable View Post
    On Xbox they have \ "Avoid this player" or "Prefer this player" feedback. Couldn't Dota 2 have something like that. Say a player is just really pessimitic, complaining and whining. I don't ever want to play with him again, but is it verbal abuse? ...
    This is exactly what I came here to talk about: on one side, let's say I enjoyed playing with someone, maybe he was helpful, maybe it was his 'never give up' attitude - the point is I wish I can 'thumbs up' him so I have a slightly bigger chance of ending up with him in matchmaking BUT I don't wanna start socializing with him, adding him as a friend or in my team just for that slghtly bigger chance. On the other side, maybe I didn't like playing with someone: maybe it was his attitude of 'I died, let's just concede, no chance of winning', maybe he's a great player, but curses alot and puts everyone down - I'd preffer I had a lower chance of ending up with him in matchmaking BUT these are not usually reasons to report him on a higher level, and maybe other players actually enjoy playing with him.

There are other advantages to this
    - we could have something like an achievement for getting in the first 10 'top voted players of the week'
    - people that received a lot of negative votes can lead to game enhancing - looking into what in the game allows or maybe even encourages these player's game style that gets so many bad votes

Basic Member
    The idea of the system is pretty good, I think there it was mentioned in an interview that they might want to give some small perks to people liked by the community, but in its current state it's way too easily abused. Swapping commendations would probably be the biggest problem if there are given benefits and it would be very difficult to stop without stopping legimate commendations at the same time, then again, if you saw someone with hundreds of commendations given back and forth without even playing a game with majority of those guys (or in very short timespan) it would be very obvious and easy to point them out. The more subtle ones or people offering them in game for buying wards/chick etc. would probably be harder to pin point.

In the end, if they can tweak and tone the system over long period and actually watch over it, it might end up being quite fun and useful feature.

Basic Member
    We really need an "i-don't-want-to-play-with-this-guy-in-a-team-again-EVER" button.
    Call it Banlist if you want to. It would work wonders if it's limited to... say 200 players on your banlist.

Another system would be to temporarily ban people from matchmaking with you. Say you played a fail game with a skeleton who fed like crazy, you lost they game obviously and go matchmaking again. There he is again, failing the other game as well (happened to me). Say you just ban them for a week or something from matchmaking with you, but they shouldn't be able to screw another game of you immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
    We really need an "i-don't-want-to-play-with-this-guy-in-a-team-again-EVER" button.
    Call it Banlist if you want to. It would work wonders if it's limited to... say 200 players on your banlist.

Another system would be to temporarily ban people from matchmaking with you. Say you played a fail game with a skeleton who fed like crazy, you lost they game obviously and go matchmaking again. There he is again, failing the other game as well (happened to me). Say you just ban them for a week or something from matchmaking with you, but they shouldn't be able to screw another game of you immediately.
    With a full population, I think it would be very rare to play with the same person within any reasonable time span. Even in the beta population I think I've only played in a game with the same person once in every 100 games.
    Please read Common Discussions, Common Suggestions, Common Technical Issues, Common Bugs, and do a website search prior to making any new thread.
    Use the report () button to report flaming, illegal discussions, offensive content, excessive spam, trolling, advertising, or duplicate threads

Then I have no idea what client you're playing on, because I see the same people ruining games pretty consistently. I've been matched with the same person about four times in the past couple weeks, and in each and every one he's played poorly, yelled at his team through voice chat, and has quit the game twice.

And yet, even though I reported him the first time, it will only let me report him once. It's pretty clear that reporting someone does nothing, as I've still not gotten any messages telling me someone I reported has been banned, and I continue to have to play with this person, knowing that despite my best efforts in the upcoming game, it just won't be enough to counteract someone intentionally ruining the game.

If this is the feedback thread, then my feedback is that the system does nothing. The reasons for reporting someone are extremely vague, yet still manage to leave out myriad reasons someone should be reported (intentional game ruining, refusing to communicate, AFK, etc.), and the commendation system suffers similar problems.

I wish people's ideas of having a like system that influences who you play with would come to fruition, but if Valve can't even keep a game ruiner from playing with EVERYONE, why would anyone think they'd create a system that's specific to the individual?

Not sure if the report function does anything..

I still get trolls in matchmaking...

And what do commendations even accomplish?

Quote Originally Posted by Redfiercare View Post
    Then I have no idea what client you're playing on, because I see the same people ruining games pretty consistently. I've been matched with the same person about four times in the past couple weeks, and in each and every one he's played poorly, yelled at his team through voice chat, and has quit the game twice.

And yet, even though I reported him the first time, it will only let me report him once. It's pretty clear that reporting someone does nothing, as I've still not gotten any messages telling me someone I reported has been banned, and I continue to have to play with this person, knowing that despite my best efforts in the upcoming game, it just won't be enough to counteract someone intentionally ruining the game.

If this is the feedback thread, then my feedback is that the system does nothing. The reasons for reporting someone are extremely vague, yet still manage to leave out myriad reasons someone should be reported (intentional game ruining, refusing to communicate, AFK, etc.), and the commendation system suffers similar problems.

I wish people's ideas of having a like system that influences who you play with would come to fruition, but if Valve can't even keep a game ruiner from playing with EVERYONE, why would anyone think they'd create a system that's specific to the individual?
    Valve, please read this. Trolls have successfully ruined several other moba games... dont let dota 2 fall to 4chan
    Last edited by MasterfulWizard; 03-05-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slowreflex View Post
    With a full population, I think it would be very rare to play with the same person within any reasonable time span. Even in the beta population I think I've only played in a game with the same person once in every 100 games.
    I played with the same guy seven times in the same night. I'm not even kidding!

On another matter, did anyone EVER had that notification that a player you reported was banned? Is that working yet? Kind of expecting a certain person to get banned since all players in a game had reported him...