Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Display PAUSE duration and number of pauses

Basic Member

Lightbulb [Suggestion] Display PAUSE duration and number of pauses

this thread is NOT about any kind of pause restriction or pause/unpause countdown, if u want to discuss such topics open a new thread, I ll edit it in the OP. Since this topics are related but not the same.

This thread asks valve to implement a new feature, a feature that would display the Pause duration and the number of pauses. Both for specific player and the team as a whole. The feature is mainly aimed to impove dota2 as eSports.
    e.g.
    daarkside unpaused the game. Pause duration 3:00. Number of pauses 3. Waiting time for mates and enemys 27:00. Dire pause duration 6:00. Dire number of pauses 6. Waiting time for 10000 spectators 41 days. 23 feb. 2012 16:10 GMT

My last pause was 3 min long, it was my thrid pause, my mates and enemys combined had to wait 27mins(3x9). I am in the dire team, the overall pause time of the dire team is 6min, the overall number of pauses is 6. 10000 spectators are ingame and combined had to wait for 41 days(6x10000). Timestamp(GMT, not Valve timeŠ). The unpause(and the msg) happened 23 feb. 2012 16:10 GMT.

Why? In an distant future leagues might become professional and start restricting the amount and duration of pauses. Such an info msg would help them executing their league rules. Since admins cant be in every game, a screenshot of such msg would be enough to prove a rule break. Punishment and restriction rules are up to the league admins. I only ask Valve to assist the leagues.

Why are many and long pauses bad for dota2 as an eSports? Because they are disrespectful to enemys, mates, admins, casters and THOUSANDS(my example with 10000 was very low as u might imagine) of fans. They reduce the fun for everyone who is forced to undergo them. Not having or having less fun is a huge drawback for dota2s eSports future. Since fun is the only reason fans tune in(and fans the ONLY reason eSports and progamers exist) Valve should help the leagues being professional and ensure the fun of the fans.

Yes I understand the importance of pauses, technology is not perfect PCs, mauses, keyboards, routers, provider/valve servers and all kind of other devices might malfunction. Important Real life issues might happen and need to be dealt with. The pause in MP games is there for a reason, for over 14(or 19) years now.
    What I do not and do not want to understand is the ignorance of the progamers for such a long time(~7 years of competetive dota&dota2 history). Many if not the most pauses are for minor reasons. Players has to shit, pee(ffs, most of them are MALE after all), take an unimportant call, take the trash out, tab out to disable the downloads, retab ingame because they forgot or are too fucking dumb to disable the windows key, went afk during the pick phase, went afk after a mate or enemy went afk and come back later then him. And all kind of STUPID SHIT that rise above my fantasy.

In almost every match the game is paused more then one time because the progamers just dont give a fuck and just dont want to understand how important it is for THEM(they after all are the ones who earn money with their hobby, something they love) to please or at least stop to annoy the fans on regular basis. Imagine 100000 fans(again, a low number) has to wait for 3 minutes, combined they had to wait for 416 days, more then a year. It would be a good move from valve to display the overall wait time to the progamers, maybe they start to think about it and maybe league admins start to raise them to professionalism. Dota2 would have an chance to a brighter eSports future with this feature.

e:
    dota2.starladder.tv/league/
    2. Dota2 rules

> The right of choosing is given on mutually beneficial terms, or by drawing lots.

> Spectators are allowed only with the permission of a referee.

> Pause is allowed. Turning off the pause is permitted only with the agreement of the opposing team.

> The total duration of pauses in the game for 10 minutes. If the time left if time is over - tell the opponents to continue the match (without aggression, explaining the situation).
    so, the biggest league with nearly 700 teams, during a beta, set pause time restrictions and for sure would like some support from valve on that one.

e2:

joinDOTA Introducing the "Pro Rating"

Professionalism and behaviour in the world of eSports, and particularly in the world of Dota, has always been an extensively discussed topic. It's been questioned numerous times to what extent unpunctuality, unreliability, or bad manners from players are tolerable, and how severely tournament organizers are supposed to punish these delicts. But one consequence is obvious to everyone: these things influence the viewing experience for all fans in a mostly negative way.

joinDOTA is trying to confront this issue with a new approach, starting now. The Professionalism and Propriety Rating (short: Pro Rating) will evaluate the general behaviour, professionalism, and attitude of teams and players. It will collect all tiny and large missteps teams or players may commit, and calculate a rating between 0 and 10, which will be visible to the public. We will test it at first in Season 3 of The Defense, and carry it over to other professional tournaments later. This behaviour rating has a lot in common with a classic penalty system, but there are a few subtle differences.

What infringements does the behaviour rating include?

General flaming/bad manners

Not showing up for a match

Not being ready on time (this includes displaying correct names)

Postponing of a match

Usage of stand-ins

Excessive all-chat spamming

Insufficient communication with the administration

Very high amount of and/or excessively long duration of pauses

Unauthorized name changes during the game

Quote Originally Posted by daarkside View Post
    [b]game is paused more then one time because the progamers just dont give a fuck and just dont want to understand how important it is for THEM(they after all are the ones who earn money with their hobby, something they love)
    Dafuq am I reading?

I lol'd at 3 min pause = more than 1 year lost. Biased reasoning...

If I go to a concert in a Stadium with 50 thousand people, and the band starts 1 hour later, we are not waiting 50 thousand hours, 5 years of time. Time doesnt stack...
    Last edited by Noya; 02-24-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noya View Post
    Dafuq am I reading?
    u might have missed a small piece of gaming history, but there are ppl earning money with gaming, since 14 years
    yes, dota was small on that part(compared to scbw, cs, wc3, q3, sc2), but it was money and will be alot more in the future

I lol'd at 3 min pause = more than 1 year lost. Biased reasoning...
    math cant be biased

If I go to a concert in a Stadium with 50 thousand people, and the band starts 1 hour later, we are not waiting 50 thousand hours, 5 years of time. Time doesnt stack...
    From your point of view it doesnt stack, u wait 1 hour. But the band has arranged 1 hour waiting time for 50000 people, their waiting time was for sure just as annoying as yours and counts for 1 hour each.
    I our law/value system doing somethin wrong/bad/impolite scales up the more ppl the action affects. Our value system is universal on that part.
    Taking away ten lollipops from ten children makes u a much bigger asshole then someone who took away one lollipop from one child.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daarkside View Post
    u might have missed a small piece of gaming history, but there are ppl earning money with gaming, since 14 years
    yes, dota was small on that part(compared to scbw, cs, wc3, q3, sc2), but it was money and will be alot more in the future

math cant be biased

From your point of view it doesnt stack, u wait 1 hour. But the band has arranged 1 hour waiting time for 50000 people, their waiting time was for sure just as annoying as yours and counts for 1 hour each.
    I our law/value system doing somethin wrong/bad/impolite scales up the more ppl the action affects. Our value system is universal on that part.
    Taking away ten lollipops from ten children makes u a much bigger asshole then someone who took away one lollipop from one child.
    While I understand your frustrations, the application and interpretation of math can be biased.

Technically, "years" were wasted, but when you break it down to the individual level (Where it matters) it's just a few minutes that the viewers likely set aside for entertainment anyways. I hate it when the game needs to be paused, but I'd prefer a delay to games being ruined by technical issues.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    Technically, "years" were wasted, but when you break it down to the individual level (Where it matters)
    i dont want to break it down to the idividual level i rather want and see the big picture, dota2s eSports future is where it matters.

it's just a few minutes that the viewers likely set aside for entertainment anyways.
    waiting for a game to unpause is not exactly an lexicon definition fo entertainment

I hate it when the game needs to be paused, but I'd prefer a delay to games being ruined by technical issues.
    i was very clear on that part, pauses are necessary, sometimes
    and i said taht this thread is not about any kind of restriction but about a display of pause and waiting times, to give admins and players a chance to react

Basic Member
    e:
    dota2.starladder.tv/league/
    2. Dota2 rules

> The right of choosing is given on mutually beneficial terms, or by drawing lots.

> Spectators are allowed only with the permission of a referee.

> Pause is allowed. Turning off the pause is permitted only with the agreement of the opposing team.

> The total duration of pauses in the game for 10 minutes. If the time left if time is over - tell the opponents to continue the match (without aggression, explaining the situation).
    so, the biggest league with nearly 700 teams, during a beta, set pause time restrictions and for sure would like some support from valve on that one.

Basic Member
    Pause Duration and Unpausing is a very critically discussed and debated topic. There should be some fixed guidelines and rules for unpausing. Many a times Games are abandoned or rather lost meekily just because the opposite team does not wwait for a player to reconnect. Valve should really do something about it. - KnowDota2

Basic Member

joinDOTA Introducing the "Pro Rating"

Professionalism and behaviour in the world of eSports, and particularly in the world of Dota, has always been an extensively discussed topic. It's been questioned numerous times to what extent unpunctuality, unreliability, or bad manners from players are tolerable, and how severely tournament organizers are supposed to punish these delicts. But one consequence is obvious to everyone: these things influence the viewing experience for all fans in a mostly negative way.

joinDOTA is trying to confront this issue with a new approach, starting now. The Professionalism and Propriety Rating (short: Pro Rating) will evaluate the general behaviour, professionalism, and attitude of teams and players. It will collect all tiny and large missteps teams or players may commit, and calculate a rating between 0 and 10, which will be visible to the public. We will test it at first in Season 3 of The Defense, and carry it over to other professional tournaments later. This behaviour rating has a lot in common with a classic penalty system, but there are a few subtle differences.

What infringements does the behaviour rating include?

General flaming/bad manners

Not showing up for a match

Not being ready on time (this includes displaying correct names)

Postponing of a match

Usage of stand-ins

Excessive all-chat spamming

Insufficient communication with the administration

Very high amount of and/or excessively long duration of pauses

Unauthorized name changes during the game
    as i said in my OP

Why? In an distant future leagues might become professional and start restricting the amount and duration of pauses. Such an info msg would help them executing their league rules. Since admins cant be in every game, a screenshot of such msg would be enough to prove a rule break. Punishment and restriction rules are up to the league admins. I only ask Valve to assist the leagues.
    It seems we have reached that distant future, time for action valve, time to give admins the tools they need to make dota2 a more professional game, patch in the display pause amount/duration function.