Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Valve please be very strict with the art style of cosmetic items this time around

Post Valve please be very strict with the art style of cosmetic items this time around

As we all know dota 2 is probably going to follow tf2's model and be free to play support by cosmetic items:

However, i have one big problem with this. The items' art-style. Initially tf2's cosmetic items fit very nicely in the game but as time went on, items deviated from the original theme of the game and thanks to those items tf2 doesn't have a coherent art style anymore.

So, I really hope they're very strict with the art style this time around. Dota is a serious game and what worked in tf2 is not gonna fly in dota 2. I wouldn't want to see Axe wearing a lime green bunny hat. They should make this their first and most important rule for submitted items and strictly enforce it.

All items MUST adhere to the game's art direction and heroes' concept art.

Basic Member
    This pains me as well, but I'm pretty sure we will be seeing very stupid cosmetic items in DotA 2, it's only a matter of time. Much worse than lime green bunny hats, too.

Valve, please do not kill the game with outrageous hats. Please keep them consistent with the art direction and lore of the game.

Impulse purchases are the big thing nowadays...

I don't mind any cosmetics, provided they don't bog down and destabilize the game as seems to have happened with TF2.

I'd also personally like an option in menu or console to disable all cosmetics (only for the player who enters the command), but doubt this would be supported or happen. Means people who want to have fun with their e-peen cosmetics can and can watch each other while those of us who don't want this kind of thing clogging their game can just enjoy playing.

Basic Member
    +1 was I so pissed and annoyed when tf2's artstyle was destroyed and desolated WITH NO OPTION to disable OR SAY from myself. Ugh... I'll probably be on the front of this campaign... I don't want to see another great artstyle ruined...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunned_Mule View Post
    Impulse purchases are the big thing nowadays...

I don't mind any cosmetics, provided they don't bog down and destabilize the game as seems to have happened with TF2.

I'd also personally like an option in menu or console to disable all cosmetics (only for the player who enters the command), but doubt this would be supported or happen. Means people who want to have fun with their e-peen cosmetics can and can watch each other while those of us who don't want this kind of thing clogging their game can just enjoy playing.
    I suggested for this in an earlier thread, though I am not optimistic on it happening.

Basic Member
    Bump

Basic Member
    Agreed. :/

I usually just lurk these forums, but i have to agree with the OP post. If we're going to start getting absolutely absurd items in the store that are user made or have some sort of promotion for another game like so many items in TF2 i would really like the option to disable them completely and enjoy the Vanilla experience.

Basic Member
    i don't want cosmetic items to change a hero's appearance every game.