Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Use Hero-Symbols instead of Heroicon's or X's and O's

Quote Originally Posted by BeardRex View Post
    I agree. League of Legend's minimap was a step forward, and doesn't change the game at all. I wish people would be more accepting of concepts that advance the game without significantly changing gameplay.
    League of Legends also has a smaller map, meaning the minimap can be more zoomed in. You see, if you were to insert portraits into Dota 2's minimap they'd either be really fuzzy and not instantly recognizable or they'd be too big and you'd be confused as to where they actually are.

Basic Member
    LoL's map is maybe 90% the size of DotA's map. That's a non-factor.

Basic Member
    @beard, 90% is a HUGE factor when you think about relative size, screen resolution, and the number of pixels available at making a clear, easily recognizable icon. For example, go into microsoft paint, and make your image 15pixels by 15pixels, now try and draw 100+ different icons for each hero, and make them easily recognizable and differentiable at a quick glance. Good luck with that. Now try it with 20x20, 25x25. See how large you need to make them before you can fit enough detail in there that its possible to actually differentiate one hero from another at quick glance. Then decide how you're going to handle overlapping icons. Which one goes on top? And is the one underneath still recognizable if its covered by 80% in a team fight? also do they still work if you rotate them 180 degrees because the person is facing the other way?

like i said above, simple is easier for people to understand, it creates a standard that is instantly recognizable, it doesn't add any complexity to a game that already has a massive learning curve, and they already have a system that works perfectly and functions just as anyone would expect it to. So personally i'd rather they spend their time on more important features then this unnecessary and reverse-functional polish

identifying heroes by color on mini-map takes skill . please don't dumb that down .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fairy.enchanted.dildo View Post
    identifying heroes by color on mini-map takes skill . please don't dumb that down .
    Please tell me you're joking >_<

Quote Originally Posted by sterls View Post
    @beard, 90% is a HUGE factor when you think about relative size, screen resolution, and the number of pixels available at making a clear, easily recognizable icon. For example, go into microsoft paint, and make your image 15pixels by 15pixels, now try and draw 100+ different icons for each hero, and make them easily recognizable and differentiable at a quick glance. Good luck with that. Now try it with 20x20, 25x25. See how large you need to make them before you can fit enough detail in there that its possible to actually differentiate one hero from another at quick glance. Then decide how you're going to handle overlapping icons. Which one goes on top? And is the one underneath still recognizable if its covered by 80% in a team fight? also do they still work if you rotate them 180 degrees because the person is facing the other way?

like i said above, simple is easier for people to understand, it creates a standard that is instantly recognizable, it doesn't add any complexity to a game that already has a massive learning curve, and they already have a system that works perfectly and functions just as anyone would expect it to. So personally i'd rather they spend their time on more important features then this unnecessary and reverse-functional polish
    You're totally exaggerating how complicated it is. Why do you need to know which way someone is facing on the minimap anyway?
    Last edited by BeardRex; 11-09-2011 at 01:33 PM.

LoL's map is maybe 90% the size of DotA's map. That's a non-factor.
    It's smaller than that. I have no problems at all with an option for hero icons but I just can't see how they'll fit them into the minimap without making them overly huge (and making their position hard to pinpoint) or they'll make them small and hard to recognize at a glance.

Why do you need to know which way someone is facing on the minimap anyway?
    Because you want to know instantly what direction they are moving. A nondirectional indicator would require that you watch the indicators move for longer.

Basic Member
    -1 bigtime.
    guys mb make use of the Alt-Button. when u arent sure about which hero is on the map it will show you the name. omg if i saw stupid symbols or hero icons on the map id go crazy.
    and how is a newcomer supposed to learn 100+ hero icons??? one hell of a bad suggestion, sry.

Basic Member
    -1. There are more than 100 heroes, you can't expect to know the icon for each of them, if it's 10x10 pixels.

Basic Member
    I would prefer hero icons. Easier for me to make out. Or atleast the ability to swap color/Hero icon