Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: [Suggestion] Use Hero-Symbols instead of Heroicon's or X's and O's

Basic Member
    +1/-1

Don't really care for the swap to hero icons but the X's need to change. Too hard to see.

Probably wouldn't be too difficult for the developers to implement, wouldn't be a bad feature for people transferring from other games, but I would hate it if it wasn't a choice.
    Last edited by Cheese; 11-18-2011 at 01:27 PM.

I come from LoL (where it uses hero-symbols) and I prefer it with circles and X. It's simpler and clearer. But yes, maybe the X shape need to change, or well, just use a triangle.

Basic Member
    What was wrong with WC'3's way of doing it? (All circles, heroes / players differentiated by color). Bright colors are Radiant, dark colors are Dire. I agree with most of the general opinion that the X's are hard to see and not very intuitive. They don't stand out enough, and, to be honest, the O's don't really stand out a lot either. It seems Dota 2 went with a bit of a darker look compartively to WC3 which is fine, but the importants things that stood out should still stand out. I don't care about items being darker and duller looking, because that's not really important to my gameplay. But I should be able to take only a glance at my minimap and know everything I need to know in less than a second without having to actually think about it.

Basic Member
    I also think the minimap is a little small. It lack's the clarity of league's. Overall I'd say league's interface is mile's ahead. This one is too much like the original DOTA - which was really a warcraft3 minimap not designed for a game like this.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I'd rather have a bigger mini-map and Hero Icons than the current system. They really are incredibly useful in LoL.

Basic Member
    It takes like fifteen seconds to memorize the color of each hero in your team and on the enemy team. In my opinion, even if I have no problem with the actual O/X system, we should bring back WC3 circles for both the allies and the opponents, it was simple, the colors were easy to recognize and the best of all, it was neat.

Basic Member
    Coming from LoL I kinda was hoping for the game to have hero icons in the minimap but I actually quite like the current one. It's a huge step forward from Warcraft 3 and it's easy to keep enemy and friendly units apart. In case you don't know what hero is behind a color the "alt" key reveals that in an instant and it's generally straightforward.

In fact I think I prefer it over the one in LoL for the simple fact that it reveals in which direction someone is facing. I just wish this was also the case for the enemy units where the X icons are not really helpful.

The skill argument I don't buy. Making a better interface does not reduce the amount of skill it requires to play the game, it just shifts it somewhere else.