Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Use Hero-Symbols instead of Heroicon's or X's and O's

Banned

[Suggestion] Use Hero-Symbols instead of Heroicon's or X's and O's

Edit: Looks to be not realizable due to sizelimitations.

My suggestion would be: Give every hero in the game a custom very simple Symbol and use it for referencing the hero on the minimap and auto-attach it to the chat/events/every place where the hero's Name appears. Then the symbol could be identified with the hero and there would be no need of complex hero-icons or hero names anymore
    By Symbol I mean a Monochromatik symbol with colored text that has a black border and transparent background. The symbol shouldn't be much more complex than a greek letter.

Then as color you could use Team-Colors or Player-colors, and would still be able to see exactly which hero is who.

Problem would be that the current symbols are rotating to the direction the hero is facing, so maybe it would be necessary to add a small arrow or something to show the direction the hero is facing...

What do you think?
    Last edited by Typhox; 11-13-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Basic Member
    Don't realy see the use of it but as long as it's a custom feature I don't mind...

Basic Member
    personally i would find it too confusing, there's like 100+ heroes dude, each with their own symbol, fuck that i'll never remember what symbol i'm looking at. Also with the minimap as small as it is, to get any sort of detail that can decipher one symbol from another, you have to have them larger then the circle/X they are right now. And then you get into issues in team fights when they are overlapping.

So i'd have to say stick to the golden rule of design. "K.I.S.S." Keep it simple stupid! ( no insult intended )

It takes minimal experience to connect colors to heroes. You will hardly need it.

-1, against it.
    I'm not a fan of it, not even in lol.

The X's and O's aren't really great either though.
    +1 on changing them to w/e

The map is too big to support icons which would be the only worthwhile substitution when it comes to anything that even resembles a symbol or a picture. Switching the X's and O's for something else could be considered but I personally like them.

Basic Member
    I love the O's and X's tbh, you can easily distinguish them between allied units and enemies, whereas pictures or just regular circles you would need to remember the heroes on your team/colors.

Leave it as it is imo.

Actually I like the O-pointer shape, but I dislike the X shape, because it is harder to tell immediately which way they are facing. I think that instead it should be a circle with a line pointing inthe facing direction, and a square with a line pointing in the facing direction.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaar View Post
    Actually I like the O-pointer shape, but I dislike the X shape, because it is harder to tell immediately which way they are facing. I think that instead it should be a circle with a line pointing inthe facing direction, and a square with a line pointing in the facing direction.
    +1, really nice idea

Basic Member
    I agree. League of Legend's minimap was a step forward, and doesn't change the game at all. I wish people would be more accepting of concepts that advance the game without significantly changing gameplay.