Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sniper and Tinker Lore Inconsistency

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0verp0wer_BR View Post
    Hah, so to "coexist" one thing must explain another?

Tell me how had science explained religion in the world, then...

The point here is: Tinker's lore say they DON'T ACCPET things they can't explain. So, how can they accept a prophecy?
    Because magic?

Quote Originally Posted by Kakee View Post
    Because magic?
    Who needs magic? I HAVE LAZER BEAMZ!

Quote Originally Posted by 0verp0wer_BR View Post
    Tell me how had science explained religion in the world, then...
    Sociology actually does a pretty good job with that.

And a prophecy is not necessarily illogical. His lore states that the "Prophecy" says that the sniper who's shot is perfect enough to strike the steepstalker in it's central eye then fall to be clenched in it's mandibles shall be exiled until he can become a legend on the fields of battle. This, literally, in a society of logic and science, can be boiled down to "Holy shit, you're way too good at this, go fight people and don't come back till you're a legend!" It's literally generations and generations of snipers passing down a story of "The Best" who will be known by his perfect shot, and must be sent away in exile until he attains perfect mastery. There is nothing religious or illogical in that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shikahake7 View Post
    And a prophecy is not necessarily illogical. His lore states that the "Prophecy" says that the sniper who's shot is perfect enough to strike the steepstalker in it's central eye then fall to be clenched in it's mandibles shall be exiled until he can become a legend on the fields of battle. This, literally, in a society of logic and science, can be boiled down to "Holy shit, you're way too good at this, go fight people and don't come back till you're a legend!" It's literally generations and generations of snipers passing down a story of "The Best" who will be known by his perfect shot, and must be sent away in exile until he attains perfect mastery. There is nothing religious or illogical in that.
    Thank you. Finally, someone does a good job explaining its coexistence. Perhaps "prophecy" is a word that is slightly too indicative, and could be replaced with "legend," or something like that. "Legend" is, like you said, a story passed down from generation to generation and is far from magical - hell, we humans have them about everyone from Lincoln to Babe Ruth.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Codfish View Post
    Sniper is a hillbilly. Problem solved.
    I feel this sums it up nicely. I mean Stephen Hawking and George W. Bush are the same race, right?

Though I also agree that "prophecy" doesn't necessarily have to mean "supernatural".

We humans are a single race, too. And look at the diversity between what we believe. If anything, this "inconsistency" only serves to strengthen the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikahake7 View Post
    Sociology actually does a pretty good job with that.

Wait, what? A single shot means he is the best? What about asking him to do it again, you know, just in case the first one was pure luck?

Or is a guy who scores a goal from the middle of the field entitled the best soccer player just because of it?

Quote Originally Posted by weapon_penguin View Post
    We humans are a single race, too. And look at the diversity between what we believe. If anything, this "inconsistency" only serves to strengthen the lore.
    And no where in our history books it's written that we don't believe in things we can't prove *bla-bla-bla-insert-Tinker's-lore-here* to make a similar inconsistency.

I'M NOT saying that the difference can't exist, TINKER'S LORE IS.

Basic Member
    It's a prophecy that's been proven by fact. They had a guy come back in a time machine and tell them what would happen.

Alternate ending prophecies aren't equipment or devices.

As a matter of pride, they survive by their wits, and use only those powers of nature that may be unlocked through rational methodologies.
    It DOESN'T say they don't accept it. They say they don't USE such methods and technology. Not using things they don't understand doesn't mean they can't believe in a prophecy.

You failed at understanding the sentence.

It they can't explain a prophecy, they won't USE it to cast someone away from their village...

OK guys calm down. Let's change our point here:

How can Tinker explain an Axe making copies of him? Or a Scythe turning people into sheep?

So, I think that his (Boush) lore is broken, not Sniper's...
    Last edited by 0verp0wer_BR; 05-09-2012 at 04:28 PM.