Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A lack of Dwarves

Question A lack of Dwarves

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed but a search brought up nothing, where have the dwarves gone? Considering that dwarves are an ancient myth, and our current view of the dwarf is mostly molded by J.R.R. Tolkien and only stolen by Blizzard, why should dwarves become taboo? I do still enjoy dwarf sniper, but it is strange that he is now thinner and more nasally, almost as if to avoid being a dwarf and having the word removed from his name. I believe he is supposed to now be the same race as tinker, which is a little more understandable since though blizzard did steal the idea of goblins they also made them unique by giving them rockets and gadgets as a hobby.

Why couldn't sniper remain a dwarf, and tinker join in, rather than changing both?

Because Valve has given the lore of Dota 2 it's own spin, rather than following the established standards. Drow Ranger, for example, only looks like the modern day Drow (i.e. a tall, dark skinned elf) but she isn't one. She was merely raised by Drows, which in this case are based on the original Drow from folklore, also known as trow. Lycanthrope was transformed into a wolf through magic rather than through a werewolf's bite. Jakiro comes from a species where they rarely are born with two heads, making Jakiro a freak among his own people.
    The list goes on and on, but long story short is that Valve is ignoring most set standards to make the lore more interesting.

I would also like to point out that it has not been confirmed that Tinker is a goblin. Sniper, Tinker and Clockwerk are all from the same race (Alchemist might also be, but that one is somewhat more ambigious), but similarly to how Dwarven Sniper has been renamed Sniper, Clockwerk Goblin has been renamed to just Clockwerk. It is nowhere said what race they specifically are.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

Basic Member
    They are gnomes now

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXQuatchiXx View Post
    They are gnomes now
    just your interpretation and nothing more

Basic Member
    Y'know, considering the little rocket man from HL2 episode 2 and from left 4 dead, I would not at all be surprised if Valve made them gnomes.

Basic Member
    dota2racelist.jpg

We have 3 yet not one of them is ginger!.

As a scotsman i believe we need more short ginger alchohlics in this game.

Basic Member
    thats an awful lore summary picture

storm panda is under human and spirit but not demigod? did the person even read his lore?

Basic Member
    It has JESUS OF THE SHALLOW SEA'S what more do you want!

I lol'd @veno note. "Not really sure what humans look like. Guess he's human?"

Ah, might aswell add my opinon while I'm at it. Yeah. I like dwarves, but we still got gyrocopter inc, of the leaked skins he kinda looks like dwarfish.

Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    thats an awful lore summary picture

storm panda is under human and spirit but not demigod? did the person even read his lore?
    Adding to what he said, it seems like whoever made this doesn't even understand what Syllabear is. Plus, I think Storm and Spectre fit in under the 'Spirit/Ethereal' crowd. Also, wouldn't Akasha be a 'Demonic Being'?