Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve overdoing way too many puns/jokes in hero dialogue?

Basic Member

Valve overdoing way too many puns/jokes in hero dialogue?

It's all about moderation. Of course I don't want growls of creature sounds in Dota 1, but Valve is terribly overdoing it with every. single. character. They're all OBSESSED with their theme/puns.

It's not the tasteful 'once in awhile' that makes you laugh, it's tiresome and groan-worthy.

See, some banters are fitting all the time in certain comic heroes. Alche & Tinker are great and jokes work. Even 'serious' heroes with seldom jokes are hilarious. Unfortunately MOST of them over do it and are not funny.

You can bet your hero will say everything and anything about their very title:

Lifestealer = ALL MY QUOTES ARE ABOUT STEALING SOMETHING

"HAI IM AXE, I'M GOING TO RHYME EVERYTHING WITH 'AXE'. AXE ATTAXE! AXE HACKS!

"ES, HERE COMES ALL THE SHALLOW GRADESCHOOL PUNS, SHAKE GROUND, YOU'RE GROUNDED, SLAM DUNK, ETC"

"I AM BOUNTY HUNTER, ILL DO IT FOR THE RIGHT PRICE, NAME YOUR PRICE, FOR THE BOUNTY, WAS THERE A BOUNTY ON MEEE????

WC3 had 'funny' sounds too but they were 'hidden', only when you spam clicked them and Blizz put them in there as an 'easter egg'.

But Valve, these units throw the worst puns and won't stfu with CONSTANT ATTEMPT at jokes/puns.

"I WEAVE your fate"
    "Your vital THREAD"
    "To the LOOM with you, to be REWOVEN"
    "Caught in the MESH"
    "I hate to leave LOOSE ENDS"

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I GET IT YOU'RE A 'WEAVER', or 'TINY' or 'EARTHSHAKER'. WHO THE HELL GOES AROUND CONSTANTLY THROWING BAD PUNS ABOUT THEMSELVES IN A FIGHT?

Sorry for the bipolar post. It derived from my half-joke thread in PD, but I wanted to make a legit opinion here. Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by acf3passion; 02-28-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Basic Member
    I have absolutely no problem with anything they say, puns included. If you were a self-confident heroic badass, I'd like to think you'd make puns too.

Basic Member
    no
    this is fine
    infact it is one of the main things of dota 2 that moved me from dota 1

Basic Member
    dont listen to the OP, they are awesome, and leave the possiblity open for valve to release topical audio cues for years to come.

Looks like Valve rocked you.

Lifestealer has one of the most intelligent soundsets in the game. Far more of his clips are about the master than stealing lives. Although the master is a lore character he is represented by you, the player, who are inside N'aix's head.
    Axe doesn't rhyme everything with axe, he talks about himself in the third person.
    You have a point with Earthshaker but they are hardly as annoying as you make out.
    Don't mistake puns with character traits. Gondar is a bounty hunter: of course he's going to be talking about money and bounties.

That said I agree with you, albeit you could've used better examples (Weaver was probably your best one): like Lich or Silencer.

Quote Originally Posted by acf3passion View Post
    JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I GET IT YOU'RE A 'WEAVER', or 'TINY' or 'EARTHSHAKER'. WHO THE HELL GOES AROUND CONSTANTLY THROWING BAD PUNS ABOUT THEMSELVES IN A FIGHT?
    I hope you won't find my reply fishy and mistake it for a fanboy response.

I, for one, welcome our new Russian overlords.

Basic Member
    No No No and No. Everything is just fine, and I love the way the heroes interact with the players. THat's definately a good point, a very good point of DOtA 2. WHen I played DotA 1, I just turned off the in-game sounds and listened to my favourite ones. But when I play DotA 2, I love listening the in-game music and the dialogue of the heroes. Some dialogue is extremely interesting, such as the sound "piu piu piu piu piu" of TInker. It makes me laugh everytime I hear it. SO please keep the music and the dialogue as the way they are, don't change them, ok?

Basic Member
    holy shit man, we get it. YOU DONT LIKE THE VA. stop spamming the playdota/dev forums every day with 'hurr durrr engliish bad, need grunts. no puns."

Basic Member
    Sorry bro, but you're pretty alone on this one.

However, there is a nifty feature that will make everyone happy!

Under Settings -> Audio you can turn off unit speech. Everyone wins

also, +1 on tinkers lazer noizes. freakin hilarious

Oh look, it's this guy again.

Tiny is the only offender in the pun war. This is because he doesn't just have obvious puns, he has nested puns as well (the line "no deposit, no return" is punning off of mineral deposits)

Basic Member
    Their cheesyness is what makes them even more funny.