Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18
Results 171 to 175 of 175

Thread: Pseudo Random Distribution

  1. #171
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by shalafi View Post
    There's ton of random in this game, much of it without PRD. If you dislike random, it's you that should look into other games (LoL, BLC and HoN all have much, much less random than DotA). DotA is, in fact, the most random-heavy competitive game I've ever known, even more than reaver harass-heavy Starcraft games.

    Things that don't use PRD and have a huge impact in the game: bouncing/random target skills, backtrack, basher's bash, multicast, chaos bolt, creep spawns, test of faith...
    This is a very random-heavy game, plus even the skills that use PRD are very random still. If you believe random hits heavily a game's competitiveness, you're lying to yourself if you also think DotA2 is a better competitive game than LoL.

    I, on the other hand, approve of randomness[....]
    But that's only because there are many engagements and the randomness can only decide so much.
    So you are pretty much saying that despite randomness having a huge impact in the game and Dota being the most random-heavy competitive game, you still think that the randomness can only decide so much. Seems legit. You might want to double check your definition of huge impact

  2. #172
    Basic Member shalafi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by end_ View Post
    So you are pretty much saying that despite randomness having a huge impact in the game and Dota being the most random-heavy competitive game, you still think that the randomness can only decide so much. Seems legit. You might want to double check your definition of huge impact


    Do you follow the competitive scenes?

    Even if he always gets the best scarabs possible, a protoss player would still lose 90% of the times against Flash in his prime.

    Even if some random west team gets max damage and stun on all the Chaos Bolts and iG's puck misses all hits from downhill, iG will still take 19 games out of 20 from them.

    Random can only decide so much when there are many, many random draws and non-random events involved. It might win you a fight, but it will never win you the war single-handedly.




    And then you'll say "hey, but lategame a single random draw might decide the game". It might, but the game has to be close and long. Which means that the teams are close in skill. Which means that the possibility of injustice (the worse team wins) is lower, because it had to defend itself to reach that point.
    Last edited by shalafi; 05-19-2013 at 02:22 AM.

  3. #173
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by shalafi View Post
    Do you follow the competitive scenes?

    Even if he always gets the best scarabs possible, a protoss player would still lose 90% of the times against Flash in his prime.

    Even if some random west team gets max damage and stun on all the Chaos Bolts and iG's puck misses all hits from downhill, iG will still take 19 games out of 20 from them.

    Random can only decide so much when there are many, many random draws and non-random events involved. It might win you a fight, but it will never win you the war single-handedly.




    And then you'll say "hey, but lategame a single random draw might decide the game". It might, but the game has to be close and long. Which means that the teams are close in skill. Which means that the possibility of injustice (the worse team wins) is lower, because it had to defend itself to reach that point.
    Lol buddy, do YOU even follow competitive dota? This isn't SC2, so giving a SC2 example does absolutely nothing here. Enitrely different game. This is Dota

    Just watch, you might learn something

  4. #174
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by end_ View Post
    Lol buddy, do YOU even follow competitive dota? This isn't SC2, so giving a SC2 example does absolutely nothing here. Enitrely different game. This is Dota

    Just watch, you might learn something
    He didn't give an SC2 example, he gave a broodwar example.

  5. #175
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    96
    not Dota, point still stands

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •