Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: [Fixed] Auto attack even when it's turned off

Banned

[Fixed] Auto attack even when it's turned off

Well, I think this has been already brought up in the Misc Forum, but it's actually a bug (moderate imho) and I can't find it in the common bugs list.

Do the following:
    - Pick a hero with good auto-attack (Dragon Knight, Outworld Destroyer) and buy items such as Scythe of Vyse.
    - Go into a clash where there are enemy creeps as well, use either Dragon Tail (DK) or Scythe (OD) or any other spell. What happens? Your unit starts auto-attacking the nearest unit, even though it has been turned off in the options.
    Why is that such a big problem? Because in ~50% of all cases the nearest unit stands behind you, that means your hero starts turning around, so:
    - You can't use forcestaff,
    - You lose around 1 second chasing/survival time,
    - usually your attack animation is so short that your hero already starts an attack, so you "miss" a hit against your actual enemy and hit creeps while the enemy is killing you/running away.
    This is very clash deciding, and extremely annoying as well.

What is supposed to happen?

When I turn off auto-attack, my hero has to ONLY attack the targets that I'm telling him to attack (via attack command or right click). Same for farming. But especially, it should NEVER start auto-attacking when casting a spell!

Yes, I know that now people say, just rightclick your target after item usage, but when I play with 200ms delay on a US server, that means that I lose more than 400ms because of this making this quite impossible.
    Last edited by bu3ny; 12-08-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Or you just use shift?

Basic Member
    This is not a gameplay bug.

I don't think DotA1 even have the option of turning off auto-attack (I remember have to walk back and forth with range heroes to avoid auto-attack), I wonder how you got by then...

Rather than queuing on US, why not try China? It's closer to Japan so your ping should be lower.
    Every time someone make a false report.
    Making people's losses feel worse with just my name (don't ask me how it work, I certainly don't)

Currently observed Orb(Unique Attack Modifiers), Critical, and Bash interactions for DotA2

To:
    People who cry MM isn't fair: Maybe you're not as great as you make yourself to be.
    People who wants surrender: It exists, but I'm not teaching you how to do it.

I hate it when Bara's stuns procs and I end up attacking random shit, from creeps to full HP heroes.

It ruins my farm and performance in teamfights.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RoflCat View Post
    This is not a gameplay bug.

I don't think DotA1 even have the option of turning off auto-attack (I remember have to walk back and forth with range heroes to avoid auto-attack), I wonder how you got by then...
    It is a bug. It doesn't matter if there wasn't a way to turn off auto-attack in DotA. Only thing that matters that although I turn off auto-attack, it still autoattacks.

Rather than queuing on US, why not try China? It's closer to Japan so your ping should be lower.
    Ping to China from Japan is around 350ms, that's more than to Europe. And SEA servers have a good ping but too many Chinese/Pinoys are playing there and I prefer to play with people I can understand. Besides that I have no problem playing with 180ms ping, except this auto-attack issue.
    Last edited by Typhox; 03-06-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    It is a bug. It doesn't matter if there wasn't a way to turn off auto-attack in DotA. Only thing that matters that although I turn off auto-attack, it still autoattacks.
    Btw the engine on DotA was way smarter with auto-attacking. Just tried it. It waits ~500ms before auto-attacking after casting a spell.
    Using skills/items/attack-move make your hero auto-attack until you order another command.

If auto-attack off REALLY turn off auto-attack, you will have to click on your target EACH TIME you want to attack, to 'manually' attack. (Good luck getting full DPS from auto-attack with high speed like Drow or Clinkz)

What you see in DotA1 is probably casting backswing, which is the time your hero play the animation before it does something else (generally something people skip asap)
    Go back to DotA1 and try this:
    Have Crystal Maiden cast Frost Bite, then wait until she auto-attack.
    Same thing, but as soon as the ice cube shows up, click on something to attack right away.
    Note how different the time between those 2 attacks.

Or try with Invoker, who should have 0/0 casting animation.
    Last edited by RoflCat; 03-06-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    Every time someone make a false report.
    Making people's losses feel worse with just my name (don't ask me how it work, I certainly don't)

Currently observed Orb(Unique Attack Modifiers), Critical, and Bash interactions for DotA2

To:
    People who cry MM isn't fair: Maybe you're not as great as you make yourself to be.
    People who wants surrender: It exists, but I'm not teaching you how to do it.

Banned
    Using skills/items/attack-move make your hero auto-attack.

If auto-attack off REALLY turn off auto-attack, you will have to click on your target EACH TIME you want to attack, to 'manually' attack. (Good luck getting full DPS from auto-attack with high speed like Drow or Clinkz)
    No, it just means that I AM THE ONE who selects the target that should be attacked and not the game AI/random mechansm. This should be standard like in every other RPG.

What you see in DotA1 is probably casting backswing, which is the time your hero play the animation before it does something else (generally something people skip asap)
    Yes, you are right.

I agree this is a bug. Had an issue in a bot game where i cast Orchid on an enemy Tiny within 300 range of him and was instantly stunned afterwards. I initially thought the item had procced the passive stun, but later realized it was simply my hero immediately starting an auto-attack and being stunned (despite, of course, auto-attack being turned off). This is more or less unavoidable in the present system, since there is zero time between the cast and the attack, unless you use shift-click on virtually everything. A rare case, yes, but certainly not what heroes should be doing.

There are many other cases where such behavior is undesirable. I'm not sure exactly what the solution is (perhaps "Auto-attack really turned off" option?), but I definitely think there should at least be some way of avoiding it (besides using shift-click for everything, which has its own issues).

Why can't I recall ever getting this problem in HoN even though I play it with 300ms? The only thing I can think of that is different is the queuing system and hold position.

Moving this to Brainstorming.
    Always read and follow the forum rules. If you need help from a moderator, use the report button ()
    Before posting new bugs:
    -Check the Known Bugs List and search the forum for an existing report.
    -Make sure its a bug (test in WC3 Dota, visit playdota guides and adv. mech, etc). If you're still not sure, post in Mechanics and Gameplay Bug Brainstorming instead.
    -Read the Bug Posting Guidelines on how to report a bug properly.