Thread: Game Ready Alert: Deafening

Basic Member

Game Ready Alert: Deafening

Its good that the game ready alert (not sure if that is how it is called), the sound that plays when a match making is ready to be accepted, alerts you when you are in alt tab and happily browsing facebook. It pretty much allows yo to use your time the way you want it while still waiting for the system to find you a match. I know a lot of you go to facebook and youtube and read manga while waiting for a match.

I just recently bought a set of gaming headsets though and I just noticed how blattantly loud and startling the game ready alert is. Unfortunately, I don't think the audio options have a way of turning down the volume of that alert. I tried turning down the volume of the game itself but that doesn't affect that sound at all. It is still too deafening to the ears.

I know I'm not the only one experiencing this, I hope they put in alternatives to this alert sound. Like for example an option to have a window pop up once a game is ready. Or an option to turn down the volume of this sound effect or at turn it off completely.

Nope.. it doesn't bother me anymore. A couple versions ago they turned it down.. My game/voice volume for Dota2 are at 25% but that's just how I like to play or else I can't hear Skype.

As long as people still don't hear it and fail to ready up, I'm all for the current volume.. or even higher. But I guess different setups have different degrees of bleedage from the eardrums.

If you really cant stand it, lower the sound in the windows sound mixer:
    - Open DOTA 2
    - Tab out and open volume settings
    - Click "Mixer" and scroll to/change the sound volume for DOTA 2

volume-mini-tut.jpg

Basic Member
    Any decent headset has an in-line volume control, so simply lower it while you wait, and then raise it again when you're in game.

That being said, I think the louder the better! It annoys me when I get the alert and it's stuck at 8/10, 9/10, etc.

While in-line volume control is great and a standard on any decent headphone, it treats all sound the same which you might not want if your game-wait-activities include any form of sound. I've found a good mix for me and I rarely have to change it.

Unfortunately, I think most of the failed ready'ers are afkers on the toilet or in the kitchen.
    Last edited by Berra_la; 03-15-2012 at 05:26 PM.

The sound is only 4x as loud when you are alt-tabbed. This is a good implementation that I agree with, however I do think that it should be customizeable.

Basic Member
    You don't have to reduce the sound, but make it have a crescendo. I always jump off my chair when the alert comes. Make it 5 seconds long with a 3 second crescendo or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradsmr View Post
    The sound is only 4x as loud when you are alt-tabbed. This is a good implementation that I agree with, however I do think that it should be customizeable.
    I've never had the sound any louder than any other sound coming from the game (disregarding my other custom setup). Could this be because I run Dota 2 in border-less windowed mode (at max resolution, covering the screen) to make tabbing faster?

Probably, because the alert sound is intended to be louder when minimized.

it is too loud