Thread: [Arc Warden] Magnetic Field evasion fails if 2 fields are placed on the same unit

[Arc Warden] Magnetic Field evasion fails if 2 fields are placed on the same unit

Depending on the location & order of placing 2 Magnetic Fields one is able to get either 100% evasion, despite enemies standing inside of the field, or getting 0% evasion, despite enemies (without true-strike) standing outside of the field.

How to replicate:

Case 1:
    - Let an allied Hero and an enemy hero attack each other.
    - Place a Magnetic Field that only touches the allied hero.
    - 1-2 seconds before the Field expires, place a second field that covers the ally and the enemy.
    - The enemy will still miss your ally, despite both heroes standing inside of the field.

Case 2:
    - Let an allied Hero and an enemy hero attack each other.
    - Place a Magnetic Field that covers the ally and the enemy.
    - 1-2 seconds before the Field expires, place a second field that only touches the allied hero.
    - The enemy will still hit your ally, despite standing outside of the field.

Current behavior: The evasion rules of the first Magnetic Field carry over to the second one, regardless of the heroes position inside/outside of the second Field.

Intended behavior: Each Magnetic Field should have its own evasion check and therefore grant (or not grant) its evasion depending on the enemy touching the specific Field (or not touching it).

Showcase:

https://youtu.be/n40OE-A2xmE
    Last edited by bu3ny; 03-05-2017 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added post 7.00 vid

This is your typical stacking bug. I already suspected this to be bugged.

Magnetic Field places 1 modifier on allies within its area. The modifier does different things based on whether an enemy is within the area as well, or not. If you cast it a second time, the second cast basically just refreshes/extents the first cast's duration and does not properly update to the new field.

The easiest way to fix this (presumably) would be to make each cast place its own independent buff and have their effects fully stack. This might work and fix the issue (it also might not, because who knows how 2 field buffs interact with each other).
    Please, just call me buny.

Inb4 it fixed the evasion but grants double attack speed.

2 independent buffs (or at least evasion calculations) should be the way to fix this, though.

Basic Member

Bug with Arc Warden Magnetic Field interaction

In 6.87, Arc Warden received the following change:
    - "Magnetic Field now only evades attacks done from outside of the field"

Where previously being inside Magnetic Field (MF) would grant evasion versus all enemies, it now only grants evasion versus enemies outside of MF. However, because of Tempest Double, Arc Warden can cast two MFs at once (Double MF). Double MF has many possible configurations, such as perfectly overlapping, somewhat overlapping, and not overlapping at all. See the following diagrams.

Solitary MF configuration:
    ( )

Double MF configurations:
    Not overlapping:
    ( ) ( )

Somewhat overlapping:
    ( () )

Perfectly overlapping:
    (( ))

The following depicts CM, Arc Warden, and Lina inside Double MF, where CM is in Left MF, Lina is in Right MF, and Arc Warden is in both MFs.
    (C (A) L)

If, as stated previously, "[MF] now ... evades attacks done from outside of the field", then logically CM should not be able to hit Arc Warden because, though she is in Left MF, she is not in Right MF, thus Arc Warden gets 100% evasion versus CM. Similarly, Lina should not be able to hit Arc Warden because, though she is in Right MF, she is not in Left MF, thus Arc Warden gets 100% evasion versus Lina.

This does not occur in-game. Instead, whichever hero resides in the MF that was placed *first* will still be able to hit Arc Warden, while the hero that resides in the MF that was placed *last* will not be able to hit Arc Warden.

This doesn't make sense.

Logically, if Arc Warden resides in the cross section of Double MF, enemy heroes should only be able to hit him if they also reside in the cross section of Double MF (unless they have MKB).

Here are some gifs that illustrate the problem with two MFs and two Axes, then three MFs and three Axes. Keep an eye on the big health bar or feel free to test it out yourself in-game.

Though this is a pretty minor inconsistency, I think it deserves to be fixed since it would be logically consistent and it would slightly strengthen Arc Warden. I think that subtle mechanics and interactions are one of the coolest and most interesting things about Dota 2, and I would love to one day see a pro game where someone uses this trick to save a friendly hero from, say, an enemy LC Duel and her team's ranged physical damage.

Magnetic Field is still buggy. Could this be fixed in the post-TI6 patch?
    I am usually located at the end of the Alphabet.

This is still broken as of balance patch 7.00.

This was slightly addressed, but the magnetic field interaction is still buggy for overlapping fields.