Thread: Troubles importing model to dota 2 client.

Basic Member

Question Troubles importing model to dota 2 client.

So basically i'm using blender software, and making 3d model of balanar. When i tried to import wearable into the client i got resourcecompiler problem it cant find the mesh file.
    I'm sorry if answer is already written somewhere, but i really used google .
    And yes i followed tris limits, and i made some uv, also parented to bone with weight(not sure if did it right tho).
    Here's the log:
    Code:
    Starting import...
    Importing files...
    Importing model: model_wearable
    Copying from 'C:/Users/Kempus/Desktop/DOTA 2 - modele 3D/moje/night_stalker/head.fbx' to 'models/items/nightstalker/test/test.fbx'
    ==> 'c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota_addons\workshop_testbed\models\items\nightstalker\test\test.fbx'
    Importing material: material_wearable
    Copying from 'C:/Users/Kempus/Desktop/DOTA 2 - modele 3D/moje/night_stalker/normal.png' to 'materials/models/items/nightstalker/test/test_color.png'
    ==> 'c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_color.png'
    Copying from 'C:/Users/Kempus/Desktop/DOTA 2 - modele 3D/moje/night_stalker/normal.png' to 'materials/models/items/nightstalker/test/test_normal.png'
    ==> 'c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_normal.png'
    Compiling material: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test.vmat
    - dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test.vmat
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_color_png_f2f4bd58.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_vmat_g_tmasks1_3fd6c990.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\heroes\nightstalker\nightstalker_base_detail_psd_f70747a4.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\default\default_detail2_tga_70788555.vtex
    - Found DXT5 texture with solid 255 alpha! Saving as a DXT1!
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\default\default_fresnelwarprim_tga_d9279d65.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_vmat_g_tmasks2_a79a11c8.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_normal_png_396881e6.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\heroes\sven\sven_diffusewarp_psd_30cf60b.vtex
    Compiling model: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota_addons\workshop_testbed\models\items\nightstalker\test\test.vmdl
    - dota_addons\workshop_testbed\models\items\nightstalker\test\test.vmdl
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\models\items\nightstalker\test\test.vmesh
    resourcecompiler: No meshes found in "c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/dota 2 beta/content/dota_addons/workshop_testbed/models/items/nightstalker/test/test.vmesh"!
    [FAIL]
    [FAIL]
    Importing model: model_wearable_night
    Copying from 'C:/Users/Kempus/Desktop/DOTA 2 - modele 3D/moje/night_stalker/nightstalkerheadslot.fbx' to 'models/items/nightstalker/test/test_night.fbx'
    ==> 'c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota_addons\workshop_testbed\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night.fbx'
    Importing material: material_wearable_night
    Copying from 'C:/Users/Kempus/Desktop/DOTA 2 - modele 3D/moje/night_stalker/normal.png' to 'materials/models/items/nightstalker/test/test_night_color.png'
    ==> 'c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night_color.png'
    Copying from 'C:/Users/Kempus/Desktop/DOTA 2 - modele 3D/moje/night_stalker/normal.png' to 'materials/models/items/nightstalker/test/test_night_normal.png'
    ==> 'c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night_normal.png'
    Compiling material: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night.vmat
    - dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night.vmat
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night_color_png_36be81f6.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night_vmat_g_tmasks1_3fd6c990.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\heroes\nightstalker\nightstalker_base_detail_psd_f70747a4.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\default\default_detail2_tga_70788555.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\default\default_fresnelwarprim_tga_d9279d65.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night_vmat_g_tmasks2_a79a11c8.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night_normal_png_250897fe.vtex
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\materials\models\heroes\sven\sven_diffusewarp_psd_30cf60b.vtex
    Compiling model: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota_addons\workshop_testbed\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night.vmdl
    - dota_addons\workshop_testbed\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night.vmdl
    +- dota_addons\workshop_testbed\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night.vmesh
    resourcecompiler: No meshes found in "c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/dota 2 beta/content/dota_addons/workshop_testbed/models/items/nightstalker/test/test_night.vmesh"!
    [FAIL]
    [FAIL]
    Error: Failed to compile 'c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota_addons\workshop_testbed\models\items\nightstalker\test\test.vmdl'
    Failed to compile 'c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota_addons\workshop_testbed\models\items\nightstalker\test\test_night.vmdl'
    If you courious thats what i have already done:
    balanar.png

Valve Developer
    There can be several causes for a problem like this. Please have a look at this entry on our item troubleshooting page to see if one of the solutions will resolve your problem.

Basic Member
    imported.png
    I think this may be the problem, it looks like some bones are twisted(thumbs?) or are this bone rotations okay ?
    Maybe i should use something better to import the model to blender. Right now im using FBX converter 2013.3, converting .fbx to .dae, then importing with blender.
    I also wonder if i should change the scale or this model or not(0.10 after import).

Valve Developer
    This troubleshooting entry talks about issues some third party software has with the FBX format. The software developers for these packages may need to create new or updated FBX plugins. If you are able to try other software you may not have these problems and should not need to scale the model. This list of links shows software commonly used by workshop artists but some of these may have problems with the FBX format.

Basic Member
    Okay my problem looks solved, i used this blender addon: http://blenderfbx.render.jp/
    Blender import without scaling down, and with good armature.
    And now i finally imported some model into the workshop manager.
    Thanks for help, and yeah i'm going back to work !

Basic Member
    So i'm here again i got new troubles, when importing into dota 2 item tools.
    My model looks like it is transforming the position to local axis of the each bone, is my weighting done badly (Can you help me with fixing this problem)?
    help.png