Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: map size / dimensions

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agfasfa View Post
    Oh so i'm not the only one who is bothered by that?

I really hate how mid lane is made noob friendly... Mid t3 tower attack range is starting at like 1 step upon entering ramp. So it feels totally different than in wc3 dota where it was actually about dominating your lane, and i mean DOMINATING. Now it looks like it's made for newbs, so they can feel more comfortable with less pressure from enemy.

Take a look at this random video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mIqyhTlLpc

How deep did pudge get over ramp before getting focused by tower @ 0:17, in dota2 that tower would attack him way sooner, which is at 0:13, just little bit after comming upon ramp. It gives those better players much less space.

I really hate it, it's a HUGE difference. I can't OWN mid lane in dota2, just as in dota1. < No, i don't mean kills or cs score, i mean taking control over lane, putting pressure over your enemy, making him feel cornered, making him feel that he is on the lost position.

This is not how it was in dota1. It really makes me feel sad because dota is my favourite game of all time, and i hate how it becomes noob friendly in a way that it hurts those more skilled people.

And i doubt that valve will resize whole map, but i wish they would.
    comparing it to dota2 makes me think that theres actualy a bit of land missing, like the river is too close to the t3 tower at dire at one point? effectivly moving the whole ramp a little bit.

Banned
    It's not icefrog anymore, it's valve. I doubt he has more control over this project than them. It was said that dota2 will be EXACTLY the same as wc3 dota, changing map drastically to the point like "Hey bro, even if you suck really hard, even if you got outplayed, we still will make you feel great!" is not same at all.

This also effects showmatches 1vs1, like in dota1 era those monster solo players playing vs eachother (430, ymt, pis, hyhy, etc.) those were really epic. It's impossible to do that in dota2.

Exactly my ass.

@x2 up
    Yes, you surely do agree, as any other low skilled LoL player

Basic Member
    its clear that valve is calling the shots here, coz i dont think that IF would make these changes.
    Last edited by Moe; 03-20-2012 at 05:11 AM.

Basic Member
    I have to agree with agfasfa. playing mid feels a lot different and that is a problem. The tower starts shooting almost immediately you are up the ramp.
    Would love to see it fixed

Banned
    Well, if they changed map right now then all beta tests made until now would be meaningless.

Thank you valve for making this awesome game a crap for 10 yrs old kids, you did well in that field.
    Why is this game even called dota2? Shouldn't it be Lol2 or HoN2? I'd like rather never see dota2 being developed like that.

Ruining YEARS of a hard work just to squish few $ more from silly players which would remove dota2 from their PCs'cause they wouldn't keep up with better players. Now this is exactly made like LoL: Go mid, feel cool cuz you don't have to bother with anything, wait 20min hugging tower and throw ur spells like a brainless, go win game.

Basic Member
    Even though i do agree with u, some pros also do if u red kuroky interview,i dont think its gonna make any differrnce,valve wants the game to be more ( i sorry to say it rly) noob friendly so other can like u said feel good when they play.

Banned
    I've considered making some petition to change mid lane as it was, maybe getting enough votes from dota community would make any impact, but as i can see dota2 beta is made mostly of those lol guys who likes things easy so...

W/e do as you wish valve, 'cuz those shiny cars won't buy themselves.

Dissapoint. - Only word to describe this.

Basic Member
    i think its a good move, but u know u will get shitstormed, what i consider is to mail IF him self to clarify these issues.

Basic Member
    I guess one dev should come here and talk about the map size and such things. the methods I see people using to discover the size are lame, prone to error. I dont know if this was discussed before but it should be explained by the devs if it wasnt already. It's not like they owe anything to anyone but a little communication is gold. It would only help. Just clarify it and give a reasoning.

BTW, I dont think Valve would want to turn the game into a "a crap for 10 yrs old kids". That would be pretty dumb; they can make alternate modes, training modes, challenge modes, custom modes, etc modes. The name of the game is appealing to everyone ($$$). Better than dumbing down the game it is make learning it easier, so everybody wins and Valve even more.

Anyway, obviously it's not 1:1 copy - pulling/stacking creeps is dif. Also Tinkers model sucks so I cant play him and I'd love to use march of machines with him and farm 3 neutral camps same time.

Basic Member
    (Okay, some people here have really strange conspiracy theories)

Personally I wouldn't mind having the map scaled up slightly. That ~1sec matters!, and maybe it would open up the metagame for something else but hardcore push? (Not that I'm saying the hardcore pushmeta is completely dominating solely because of the map size, but giving Drow that one second more of living space maybe would make it easier/tempting for teams to pick up slightly harder carries again?)