Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: map size / dimensions

the only thing i miss from dota1 is trees behind fountains
    i noticed that some parts of dota map is a little bit small but thats not "big" problem imo, duh i would like if that is fixed

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfaQ View Post

cant test the river section or tier 3 sentinel to tier 3 dire because the courier will get sniped by the tower(s).
    Just stack vitality boosters on the flying courier so it won't die to the tower. With 6 vitality boosters I think it should be fine.

Basic Member
    Thank you for your reply
    I can do a video comparison, but I don't have any decent video composition software installed that can do a split screen comparison afaik and also my free time for such things is rather limited atm, so it has to wait a bit. It is a bit sad, that replays of single player games can't be saved and reviewed in dota, then I could visualize the movement of courier + also show the pointer at point B. But np, I can work around that.
    Oh, that's unfortunate. Isn't there someone else from the community who could run a similar test and provide us some visual aid?
    Delay btw would produce a constant time delay, not increasing time delay with increasing distance. You can rule it out.
    I see.
    Starting point was when the cursor showed the command was issued (green arrows). Next time I can take exact time the courier starts moving for the measurments, but the differences will be not more than 33 ms, since I already tested this in the past.
    With what device did you use to time both games? I mean no offense but, how did you factor off human error?
    Just think of 5% in respect to the whole game time. In a 40 minutes game that would be 2 minutes. Now if we consider that we are not moving permanently, but only 50% of the time then it still would be 1 minute. 1 minute is a whole death cycle in migame. Ofc effects aren't huge but noticable, especially if you consider DotA's snowballing game nature (out of a small advantage in earlygame, a big advantage in lategame can arise)
    Personally, I disagree. But then again, I'm no pro. Maybe 5% is big enough to make the difference, IDK.

Thanks for your time.

If this is an issue, I hope Valve addresses this. That is, if they can fix it at all.

With what device did you use to time both games? I mean no offense but, how did you factor off human error?
    video recording at 30 fps and then noting the time of the start- and end-frame. start was: green cursor response on click appears, end was courier/unit stops moving. So taking the times should be exact up to 0,033 secs.

I never said it is a huge change in balance, just that it has its influence like it would have an influence if you gave all heroes a +5% damage aura (surely would give other heroes advantages than the smaller map, but you get my point).

Also people claiming - let dota 2 be dota 2 and dotA be dotA - isn't that good since both games are balanced equally, so they be consistent with each other in the most basic ways. It is for a reason that this forum has got a subforum for map inconsistencies.
    specs for bugreports:
    i5-4200U
    AMD Radeon HD 8750M
    win 7

Basic Member
    PD directed me here (sound strange but is true! thread). yes please dev look into this, everything seems to be bigger in dota2 (and hence 'smaller' map) while i live with that but it is annoying at times. The area of the rosh pit is especially game changing, eg enigma ulti can cover the whole area.

For those who said dota2 is a different game - yes, they are both different games but what is the bad to make them both equally good and balance? For all we know dota1 is still the gold standard. If you are not from dota1 then why do you care?

I wish to see the consistency between both games, engine restriction or not, dota1 is still the gold standard.
    Last edited by BurningSera; 06-28-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Basic Member
    there we go again.. dota 2 is NOT dota 1.. and it's good that way. The fact that the map is (just a little bit) smaller than in d1 makes the game maybe a bit faster and with more action. i really don't think that the impact of this is really huge in any games but the highest tier pro games

Wow, comments in this thread really make me sad. Incredible how butthurt people are for so little changes. So because of that little change in tower range, the game is LoL2, right? Jesus. Adapt to that. They won't change it and it doesn't really matter. Skilled players are the ones who can adapt to the changes.
    Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

agreed

Basic Member
    honestly valve needs to fix the mid lane asap, it's so much different in dota 1. i feel like im playing LoL now with the tower being so close to river