Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Mage Blink and Blink Dagger Range Problems //dota_range_display

Basic Member

Anti-Mage Blink and Blink Dagger Range Problems //dota_range_display

Summary:
    Inputting the command "dota_range_display 1200" into console brings up a circular indicator around the player's hero which visually represents 1200 units in range. Blink Dagger (1200 range) does not blink the hero the full 1200 units (the hero cannot blink to the edge of his indicative circle, but only to about 50-100 units short of it).

Anti-Mage's Blink ability, however, can blink him to the edge of this circle (1200 units) as opposed to the tooltip suggesting he can only blink 1150 units (at level 4).

Repro Steps:
    -Bring up console and enter "dota_range_display 1200"
    -Start a game with Anti-Mage and buy Blink Dagger
    -Try to Blink the 1200 units (with Dagger)
    -Try to Blink the 1200 units with Anti-Mage's Blink ability (level 4)

Result:
    Anti-Mage's Blink ability blinks further than the suggested 1150 units, while Blink Dagger does not blink the hero the full 1200 units.

Expected Result:
    -Anti-Mage's Blink ability only moves him 1150 units forward
    -Blink Dagger moves a hero the full 1200 units forward
    -If the issue lies with the console command, dota_range_display should display the correct number of units as inputted in console.
    -If the issue lies with tooltip information, then that should be fixed to correctly display the range Anti-Mage's Blink and Blink Dagger can move heroes.

EDIT:
    This discussion in the thread has gone past the point of the original post, and while I agree that it's a meaningless, silly mechanic being debated, that is not the issue that I am trying to address. I'm not even sure if that mechanic still exists in Dota 2.

Blink Dagger is supposed to blink you 1200 units away, and Anti-Mage's blink only 1150. The problem is that in the game, Anti-Mage can blink 1200 units away (by clicking on the edge of the circle), while Blink Dagger, while also clicking on the edge of the indicatory circle, does not reach where you clicked (1200 units away) but lands short of that. In short, Anti-Mage blinks further than he is supposed to and Blink Dagger shorter than it is supposed to, even without clicking past the 1200 unit limit, but rather on the circle within the 1200 unit limit itself.
    Last edited by PrettyMeris; 03-18-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Blink Dagger blinks you 4/5 of the distance when you target blink too far away.
    AM's and QoP's blink got changed to always blink the full distance.
    Please, just call me buny.

Quote Originally Posted by bu3ny View Post
    AM's and QoP's blink got changed to always blink the full distance.
    Really? because in playdota AM and QoP both say
    If you used Blink to teleport to a distance over the maximum range, you'll be teleported 4/5 of the maximum range instead.
    This is a dumb mechanic anyways because it adds nothing to the game imo.

If I don't have a specific place to blink (for example an Echo Slam), then why wouldn't I want to blink the maximum range?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luffydude View Post
    This is a dumb mechanic anyways because it adds nothing to the game imo.
    I creates a difference between frantic clickspammers and thoughtful micromasterminds, isnt that reason enough?
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    I creates a difference between frantic clickspammers and thoughtful micromasterminds, isnt that reason enough?
    It was a limitation of the old WC3 engine. Its unnecessary and totally retarded.

There is a difference between skill, such as positioning, and misjudging of distance and coming up 250 units short due to engine obscurity.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    It has nothing to do with spamclicking, it has to do with distance judgement. If your judgement is too far off, you suddenly lose out on range. If your judgement is too little, you don't actually get more range to begin with.
    Regardless, I'm OK with such harsh mechanics, however in this case I'm not because QoP and AM have already been changed. In other words, this is a matter of consistency. It should be changed, one way or the other, I don't particularly care.

Quote Originally Posted by d.phoenixxx View Post
    It was a limitation of the old WC3 engine. Its unnecessary and totally retarded.
    Very easy fixable for DotA1....
    Please, just call me buny.

Judging distance is one of the most important aspects of the game, with or without blink. There is nothing unnecessary about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luffydude View Post
    why wouldn't I want to blink the maximum range?
    Thats exactly the point. If you want to blink at full range you gotta put some effort into it. Why should you be able to mindlessly click anywhere in the map and get away with the full carrot?

Basic Member
    This discussion has gone past the point of the original post, and while I agree that it's a meaningless, silly mechanic, that is not the issue that I am trying to address.

Blink Dagger is supposed to blink you 1200 units away, and Anti-Mage's blink only 1150. The problem is that in the game, Anti-Mage can blink 1200 units away (by clicking on the edge of the circle), while Blink Dagger, while also clicking on the edge of the indicatory circle, does not reach where you clicked (1200 units away) but lands short of that. In short, Anti-Mage blinks further than he is supposed to (further than Blink Dagger) and Blink Dagger shorter than it is supposed to, even without clicking past the 1200 unit limit, but rather on the circle within the 1200 unit limit itself.

I'll add this to the OP so the moderators don't have to go through the thread to find this.