Thread: [bug] on closing tools, steam does not know that tools are no longer running

Basic Member

[bug] on closing tools, steam does not know that tools are no longer running

Anyone else having this issue? Not sure if it's just me.

No dota applications are running in task viewer, and I closed the tools appropriately, but steam still thinks dota is running. Restarting steam fixes the issue.

Basic Member
    The standard Windows Task Manager is trash.

I suggest using Process Explorer or Process Hacker. With those tools you can see the process hierarchy. Look for some child processes like cmd that may run. See what happens if you kill them.
    Last edited by wolf633; 09-06-2016 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Meant "Process Explorer", wrote "ProcessManager"

Don't ever install Process Hacker, unless you want a fake-positive VAC ban. Process Explorer by Sysinternals is the only tool you need on Windows.

As for the bug, it's been on since forever because you don't actually run the executable directly, it's trough steam launcher process, that does not clean up it's handles in a timely manner.
    This is highly amplified by lame Antivirus/Firewalls (Eset is the worst in regards to this).
    Blame it on Steam.
    You will notice that if you launch dota2 directly, it happens less (create a shortcut to dota2.exe, edit target line with -tools or whatever launch options needed). It might break Cloud sync, tough.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aveyo View Post
    Don't ever install Process Hacker, unless you want a fake-positive VAC ban. Process Explorer by Sysinternals is the only tool you need on Windows.

As for the bug, it's been on since forever because you don't actually run the executable directly, it's trough steam launcher process, that does not clean up it's handles in a timely manner.
    This is highly amplified by lame Antivirus/Firewalls (Eset is the worst in regards to this).
    Blame it on Steam.
    You will notice that if you launch dota2 directly, it happens less (create a shortcut to dota2.exe, edit target line with -tools or whatever launch options needed). It might break Cloud sync, tough.
    Ah cool. I'm not sure what started it, but it's happening with normal dota now as well.

On a side note, if task manager fixes the problem, why should I use bloatware? lel. No reason to use anything else when it works for just ending steam when Im launching somethign else.

On a side note, "bloatware? lel" = famous sheep last words. Process Explorer is part of Sysinternals - bought by Microsoft a decade ago because that's how good the tools are - in particular, PE should be seen as a more advanced task manager for Windows, endorsed by Microsoft (and not surprisingly, VAC safe).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aveyo View Post
    I never had any trouble with VAC using Process Hacker. I even replaced my standard task manager with it.

Maybe I am lucky. I never touched the Dota 2 process through process hacker though.
    But yes indeed: If you want to stay on the safe side: hands off of Process Hacker.