I hope this is the right place for this, if not, let me know and I'll redirect this a.s.a.p.

So I was thinking about the way the current system for replays works, and as someone who has benefited from the way the torrent system works, it occurred to me that perhaps DOTA 2 could benefit from it as well?

So with a torrent, you have a listing or link for a file (for the sake of simplicity, I'm going pretend we're just talking about a single file, get your mind out of the illegal gutter), now as long as one person who has that file is allowing themselves to upload for the active listing or link, anyone else should in theory be able to download it yes?

Would it be possible to implement something like that for DOTA 2? Allow us to hold on to those archived replays from days past by having the community be able to share older replays without the load or space being used by the DOTA 2 servers? I don't know if there would be legal technicalities that would cause this to be untenable, but it just occurred to me, and I thought I'd ask.

Essentially, as long as one person has a replay downloaded, and is connected to the DOTA 2 network, the idea would be that anyone else also connected could download that replay, even if it's been removed from the DOTA 2 servers.

Would be great if you had that old game you really enjoyed or want to analyse, but forgot to download, and well whaddayaknow, someone else who played it downloaded it, and now you can get access to it too even if DOTA 2 no longer has it saved.

Also the hypothetical bonus from this could be that DOTA 2 could stop storing replays altogether other than pro games. Move the entire replay system to a file-share based one.

That said, I don't know if it would also be untenable because of possible security risks, but again, I thought I'd ask.

Cheers,

~Kodimeister