Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SFM2's limitations, and proposed solutions

Valve Developer
    A couple more updates:

wind and tree/grass sway should now animate properly in SFM time, rather than game/real time, fixing the overblur problem
    volumetric lights no longer apply a fixed amount of extra lighting to the water, resulting in a hard edge at the light frustum
    You can now toggle between normal and "showcase mode" trees - in the viewport area context menu, toggle Session Map Layer Visibility -> showcase_trees

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_prime View Post
    A couple more updates:

wind and tree/grass sway should now animate properly in SFM time, rather than game/real time, fixing the overblur problem
    volumetric lights no longer apply a fixed amount of extra lighting to the water, resulting in a hard edge at the light frustum
    You can now toggle between normal and "showcase mode" trees - in the viewport area context menu, toggle Session Map Layer Visibility -> showcase_trees
    Can confirm the tree/grass sway is working. Here's what I found about it:

• Showcase trees are the sfm trees, if you're working in the dota_sfm map, you won't need to check the ticker option. Same goes with grass.
    • Setting do not save This is actually really good because you can change settings per rendered shot, and if you mess things up when testing, you don't need to remember the numbers, just close and re-open the tools
    • From what I can tell, sfm only has direction and speed as wind options, so other users feel free to add onto what I've found about this stuff.
    • you can apparently break the option by setting r_world_wind_offset_speed to 0 0 0 and then changing it back to the default values. Just doesn't apply anymore changes to other options. Fixes on relaunch.
    • The default values for the wind settings are a little too low for s2fm renders, but if you change the settings below to the ones at the end, it doesn't look half bad

Code:
    //wind direction vector that matches an angle from the map grid (here's an example of 1 0 0). Would be really cool to see it as an element now that I think about it
    r_world_wind_dir {x y z}

//Not really sure what this one does. I think it has to do with how the tree/grass model oscillates (mostly in the x/y direction?) to makes it seem like the trees are getting pushed with the wind through the leaves. 
    r_world_wind_frequency_{trees|grass}

//seems this one almost looks like the index value of a bump map which you can mess with by doing an insane speed like 300. Could also just be applying a force to a specific range of models through their vertex groups. More realistic values seem to be from -300 to 300 anythign beyond that, regardless of other settings deforms them too much to be in most scenes.
    r_world_wind_strength {value}

//I think this gives the wind strength specific directional influence. So if I have a windspeed of 300 and set my value to .5, .25, 0, it'll have 150 speed in the x direction, 75 speed in the y, and 0 z influence. But that would mean these values are also influenced by both the r_world_wind_dir and r_world_wind_frequency. For example, if you set the values to 0 0 0, the trees will all be at the default max strength in the direction of the wind.
    r_world_wind_offset_speed {x y z}

//No idea what this one does. I tried setting stuff to max values, but I'm still not sure. Maybe it smooths the movement out across a number of frames?
    r_world_wind_smooth_time {value}
    This si what I like for my settings so far after playing with some of them. If I knew what they did exactly I might get better results, but for now:

Code:
    r_world_wind_dir .707 .707 0
    r_world_wind_frequency_trees .01
    r_world_wind_offset_speed .5 .6 .2
    r_world_wind_smooth_time 2
    r_world_wind_strength 100

//as a note, if you want to change direction of the wind, I don't think you need to change the offset speed unless you're working in the negative direction.

Volumetric lights on water is fixed!
    The camera light scale still highlights the fake water waves a little too much, but that's fine since they disappear if you set the camera light scale to 0, which is fine since you shoudl be using your own lights anyways :P
    Last edited by moartuba; 12-21-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Thank you so much Joe!! ♥

I wonder if there's a way to set the skew of the grass, though?

The relevant ConVar seems to be dota_camera_hero_inspector_grass_skew_multiplier but it isn't getting applied in SFM.

Also, would it be possible for you to change the alphatest threshold point to something lower? That way, if we are to use the alphatest mode to get lights/SSAO on the grass, the cards don't get cut off before they reach the ground.

Last edited by MaxOfS2D; 12-22-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Skybox support was just added, which is great, but there are two big things about it

1) fog affects the skybox. this is not the case in the actual game, and this makes it just as useful as creating your own dome from scratch. could it be "immune from fog"? in fact, is there a material editor property somewhere that can allow this for any material?

2) how does one go about creating their own skybox material that works with Valve's system?

Current position co-ordinates non-tracable. Unknown space.
    The only way for us to generate skyboxes currently within the tools is to use Destinations's cubemap generation (unless you want to make them by hand!). That is, until they add this feature to Dota 2's workshop tools In any case, they are just regular cubemap skyboxes. I've tested this with a skybox texture I generated in Destinations; I imported the texture into one of my Dota 2 addons and it comes out just fine. As for fog affecting the skybox, I recall that the lightinfo entities within whatever map you're using can determine whether the skybox is affected by the fog, although I'm going to assume this is not the case when using the map within SFM (and that these settings would be reflected in the camera entity in SFM). And as well, since the new terrains' map isn't exposed to us yet, I guess we can't modify the lighting anyway!

Basic Member
    Tried sky shader with cubemap - works fine. Just downloaded hdri pano from web:
    https://puu.sh/tftEz/29b252ba0b.mp4