Thread: Standard attack not working in 6.88; summons/illusions not attacking upon summoned

Basic Member

Standard attack not working in 6.88; summons/illusions not attacking upon summoned

When playing a hero with summons or illusions like Invoker or Naga (with Standard attack ON) , the summons/illusions in 6.88 do not instantly attack nearby foes in their attack range; it used to be the case in previous patch. Now they simply hold and you have to order them to attack.

Attacking upon summon was precisely why I chose 'Standard attack' for my units. Somehow after this patch, 'Standard attack' stopped working as before.

6.88 messed the Standard attack option which should allow summons to attack immediately after being summoned, then respond to order without using autoattack.

Basic Member
    Do you set "Summoned Unit Auto Attack:" option?

Basic Member
    No, Standard attack for both hero and units. I dont play with Auto-attack in general because it gives me less control on last hitting, and I also have to keep spamming stop order. Standard attack allowed you before to have your units attack immediately when summoned, then behave normally when given dirtections and not auto-attack; exactly as is ¨stated in the UI description¨!!!

Iḿ sure if the dev at Valve saw this, they would know what to do to fix this. Somehow this forgot to be fixed during the new patch release.
    Last edited by dotabugs; 10-13-2016 at 08:26 PM.

Basic Member
    Can we can an update on this bug?

Basic Member
    Illusions or summons still do not attack when summoned. Why is every reddit post getting fixed but not this bug? It's been a whole month now!

There were a series of reddit complains about hero auto-attack interactions, and Valve was quick to address them without much thought, so the end result is what we have now: Summoned = moved so it is behaving exactly as it is stated in the UI description
    It's not only that.
    Auto-attack: Standard does not even work for Hero in the first instance.
    Once you toggle it, it starts behaving. So, make sure you set a hotkey for it (Alt-A or Alt-S seems convenient), and use Summoned Auto Attack: Same as Hero for now.

Basic Member
    I will check it tonight, basically you are saying that "Auto-attack: Standard" does not work on the first instance, and you need to toggle to activate it?
    Yes even on hero, I think "Auto-attack: Standard" does not work.

How would I go about assigning a hotkey to toggle "Auto-attack: Standard"? If I remember correctly, there is an option for assigning "Auto-attack: Always" and "Auto-attack: Never", but I have not seen one for "Auto-attack: Standard". Could you help me on this? Ty

Under Advanced Hotkeys - Unit Actions, last one is Toggle Autoattack.
    Pressing that hotkey in-game will toggle between Standard and Always (if you have set it to Standard or Always in GUI), or Never and Always (only if you have set it to Never in GUI).
    Standard is what I have default on, but yet it acts as if it's set to Never at the start of a game (at least on my system).
    Honestly, the new options (Disable Autoattack When Stop is Held and Toggle Autoattack Automatically) made the whole thing a bloody mess - depending on what you have those setup, the outcome can be unexpected.

If I think about it, GUI autoattack settings (among other) were never reliable, as any slight issues with Steam Cloud settings would not save these between sessions, or reset them out of nowhere.
    But you could hardcode them in autoexec.cfg, and even create your own dynamic modes. Now it's RIP.

Basic Member
    Nice suggestion but no luck, I tried it with the toggle; I guess the hero is on "Auto-attack: Standard" but as for the summons or illusions, they are not or are still not attacking upon summoned. It used to work a few patches before. I guess I'll have to try to figure it out in the autoexec.cfg file for "Auto-attack: Standard" on other units. Thanks