Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: API Requests

Quote Originally Posted by penguinwizzard View Post
    [*]The structure of the high-level AIs limits systems to certain strategies.
    Suggestion to fix: Change the objectives established by the high-level AI components from explicit enum values to more abstract structures; having the AI have the ability to say "mount an offensive against this object" or "sweep this area for enemies" would be very useful. This also helps with custom games; a general set of capabilities means that developing a strategic AI for a custom game could be a fairly simple finite state machine, with defined objectives structures to use at each state.
    I came to ask for something similar but I was imagining a very simple API for it. Simply allows bots (and the team commander AI) to exchange arbitrary messages.

SendMessage(msg:string, optional bot_index:int);
    ReceiveMessage();

Essentially each bot would get a queue of incoming messages and can then read messages from their queue (including the team commander AI as conceptually bot number 6). With this structure you can do any kind of team orders you want, or bots can communicate directly with one another. You can even extend this to allow the game itself send messages to bots, so custom games could inform bots about certain events (and if the bot doesn't understand a message it can just ignore it).

Valve Developer
    One note: it's entirely plausible and probable that we'll need to add more modes. Attacking shrines is a good example of something that probably needs to be added.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional Logic View Post
    Surely movement extrapolation is something you would do in the AI? predicting anything but a simple linear extrapolation is a large part of what makes your bot different/better.

Even if you just want linear extrapolation it's just a single trivial vector operation.
    Absolutely. The reason I mentioned it here is, at this point I'm not sure if I have the tools to do it on my own. i.e. is there a method that lets you target ground?

Also, related question (also asked in a separate thread though) are there any sort of official docs of the current API?

Basic Member
    Me bots need to be able to chat. How else are they going to spam "???" after each kill?

Basic Member
    Sending chat messages, chat wheel messages and playing hero voice lines.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    One note: it's entirely plausible and probable that we'll need to add more modes. Attacking shrines is a good example of something that probably needs to be added.
    This is unfortunately one of the reasons that any serious attempt will eschew the existing structure completely though; having to rely on valve to update or extend api calls is a large part of the current pain in the custom game dev experience. There's a good number of people who compare sm.js favorably to the current modding system simply because there was a modicum of responsiveness in terms of getting new api calls implemented. By going more general with some aspects of the api, you can avoid large parts of this reliance and make something that actually has lower maintenance burden in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorflux2 View Post
    Also, related question (also asked in a separate thread though) are there any sort of official docs of the current API?
    Yes, at https://developer.valvesoftware.com/..._Bot_Scripting.

Basic Member
    Sleeps and waits should be forbidden. Instead you must count how many time have happen since the CastAbility tick, and if it is enough (50) then trigger Stop.

Basic Member
    Is there a API function to chat to allies/enemies? Or to play audio?

Basic Member
    How about an API function to choose a talent for a bot's hero? Not sure if this exists already (Didn't see one in the documentation).

This is probably a very large request, but it would be great to be able to query the active and passive effects (and cooldowns etc) of abilities and items. Currently, I'm looking at creating a big lua table containing all of the info from npc_abilities.txt and items.txt, but these are difficult to use (it seems that the ability effects are hardcoded as passive or active and even some of those are inconsistent (e.g. 'bonus_movement_speed' is passive on all items, apart from smoke)). It would be great to be able to query allied or enemy heroes, look at their current builds, then run calculations to figure out how much MR/armor/etc the bot should be aiming for, and then query items to figure out the most efficient way to do it. The added benefit of having this in the API instead of using the npc files is that it would always represent the current balance of the game meaning the bots wouldn't need to be updated constantly.