Thread: Ways to test and debug code.

Basic Member

Ways to test and debug code.

Hi,
    I am new to Lua and Bot scripting. But I have very good knowledge in programming and developing applications. So can anyone tell me how to compile, test and debug the bot scripts? Should i run the test client everytime or is there an IDE to do these things? Any directions will be helpful.

+1 on this. There's not enough detail in the wiki about this.

I just copied the hero_selection.lua script from the bots_example into the game/dota/scripts/vscripts/bots directory, and tried to start a lobby with the local dev script option for bots. When I start the game, and I'm in any Radiant/Dire slot, I get auto-assigned the hero that's specified in my script, but the other slots are empty even though I have the fill empty slots with bots option enabled. I'm not sure which logs to look at to find more info on what went wrong.

I would love some more detail around testing & debugging my scripts.

Basic Member
    How to get bots_example? There are only animation/ and game/ in my game/dota/scripts/vscripts.

bots_example isn't with the main client, you'll have to download the test client in order to get that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by too_much_overtime View Post
    bots_example isn't with the main client, you'll have to download the test client in order to get that.
    How to download the test client

Valve Developer
    Well it's in the main client now!

Basic Member
    thx! ive got it!