Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I load and test my new bot?

How do I load and test my new bot?

I assumed that copying game/dota/scripts/vscripts/bots_example into a new folder in there and changing things would be enough to have my own bots, but in the Bot Selection dropdown I still only see the "default" option.

Is there any basic documentation regarding getting a basic bot up and running? I tried to find some bot definitions file or some config section, but no luck.

Basic Member
    I copied the hero selection example from there into a new directory called game/dota/scripts/vscripts/bots. I was then able to see a option other than 'default' and 'workshop' when making a custom lobby. Pulling up the console during hero pick confirms that the changed script is being picked up and run (I added some print statements that showed up in the console).

That being said, while the example script is run, for some reason the bot team fails to pick any heroes and just loads into the game as a completely empty team...

Basic Member
    I did exactly the same thing as above, but they pick random hero rather than the one in the lua file.

Edit: All right when I set difficulty to 'unfair' or 'none' it auto pick the hero on the list for me. But AI will not pick hero themselves.
    Last edited by lunarbreez; 12-11-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Unfortunately this did not work for me. I created a directory: game/dota/scripts/vscripts/myBots and unfortunately nothing but default has showed up in the test client. Anyone else having troubles with this?

Basic Member
    I believe your folder needs to be called 'bots' instead of 'myBots' as that is the directory it searches for according to the wiki.

How do I load and test my new bot?
    I assumed that copying game/dota/scripts/vscripts/bots_example into a new folder in there and changing things would be enough to have my own bots, but in the Bot Selection dropdown I still only see the "default" option.

Is there any basic documentation regarding getting a basic bot up and running? I tried to find some bot definitions file or some config section, but no luck.

Basic Member
    The new folder you create needs to be called 'bots' for you to be able to see the new option in-game.

Basic Member
    What happens exactly is this:

If you copy and paste bot_example's content into bot folder, the script hero_selection.lua which should be selecting the heroes for bots keep printing forever this message in console (if you choose radiant):

selecting radiant
    It looks like the game or the bot API doesn't fill empty slots with bots. If you place yourself in radiant team, the API will chose a hero for you:

print( "selecting radiant" );
    SelectHero( 0, "npc_dota_hero_antimage" );
    SelectHero( 1, "npc_dota_hero_axe" );
    SelectHero( 2, "npc_dota_hero_bane" );
    SelectHero( 3, "npc_dota_hero_bloodseeker" );
    SelectHero( 4, "npc_dota_hero_crystal_maiden" );
    for instance, if you get the first slot of radiant team you will play antimage, if you get the second slot you will get axe and so on...

Valve Developer
    This should be fixed with the main release today.

Basic Member
    The bots still will not pick the heroes in the example script. I get the selecting radiant/dire messages, however.

Edit: If i load as first slot they pick the heroes, but only on my team.

radiant_load.png
    Last edited by Hactar; 12-12-2016 at 11:52 PM.