Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: January 20th backpack issues

January 20th backpack issues

As an edge pan user placing the backpack below the inventory slots causes unwanted camera movements when moving items from your inventory to the backpack.

I suggest either disabling edge pan below the backpack area when dragging items or placing the backpack to the right of the inventory once again.

Made something in paint to show how the backpack could be moved to the right:

backpack.png

Also I think a hotkey option to move backpack items would be a very good addition (mouse movements for inventory mgmt in combat are clunky). Ctrl+itemkey comes to mind (doesn't work for sharable items in your inventory though but still better than nothing).
    It would take 3 new hotkeys for the 3 backpack item slots and then you can ctrl+itemkey on an inventory item and it will be moved to your backpack. Same scenario for moving items from backpack into inventory.
    However if both inventories are full you can start swapping item slots by using ctrl+inventory_itemkey followed by ctrl+backpack_itemkey (order doesn't matter). First hotkey combo will put a border and a swap symbol (2 circular arrow thingies), second hotkey combo will swap both items. The swap sequence will be automatically canceled after 3 seconds if you don't hotkey combo the second item.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2slow4flo; 01-24-2017 at 05:34 AM.
    The King has arrived.

Basic Member
    yes
    unintentional camera movement is very annoying

Thumbs up No.

The definitive "backpack should remain bottom" reasons:

It's more effective:
    Backpack slot size is bigger in the bottom layout and better fits overlays (charges, cooldowns etc.)

It's less prone to errors:
    moving 3 columns into 3 columns = mathematically aligned
    vs.
    moving 2 rows into 3 rows = non-aligned, can move into unintended slot

It's more efficient as in distance moved:
    itemslot 1/2/3 to backpack 1/2/3 = at least 1.2 x itemslot size
    itemslot 4/5/6 to backpack 1/2/3 = at least 0.2 x itemslot size
    vs.
    itemslot 1/4 to backpack 1 = at least 2.2 x itemslot size
    itemslot 2/5 to backpack 2 = at least 1.2 x itemslot size
    itemslot 3/6 to backpack 3 = at least 0.2 x itemslot size

It's more ergonomic:
    up/down hand movement is scientifically proven less tiresome than left/right hand movement

Some would add that it's also more natural and also more pleasant.

I kinda liked it on the side tbh, i dont like how it feels now it needs to be inverted, back packshould be on top of the inventory since it will clearly see more mouse movement than inventory itself, if the idea is have 3 horizontal lines then move backpack to be on top of inventory and make the backpack icons a bit bigger.

I havent experienced the issue that OP mention about panning by mistake.
    Signature by Smittech

Quote Originally Posted by aveyo View Post
    The definitive "backpack should remain bottom" reasons:
    If that's what you think alright. But then there should not be any reason to leave edge panning enabled when dragging items, right?

Also I think a hotkey option to move backpack items would be a very good addition (mouse movements for inventory mgmt in combat are clunky). Ctrl+itemkey comes to mind (doesn't work for sharable items in your inventory though but still better than nothing).
    It would take 3 new hotkeys for the 3 backpack item slots and then you can ctrl+itemkey on an inventory item and it will be moved to your backpack. Same scenario for moving items from backpack into inventory.
    However if both inventories are full you can start swapping item slots by using ctrl+inventory_itemkey followed by ctrl+backpack_itemkey (order doesn't matter). First hotkey combo will put a border and a swap symbol (2 circular arrow thingies), second hotkey combo will swap both items.
    Last edited by 2slow4flo; 01-23-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    The King has arrived.

It's not Valve's job to assist you on using a mouse with elementary precision.

The backpack is a luxury, not a commodity, hence why having hotkeys for it is not a priority whatsoever :P
    What needs fixing first is the complex interactions like courier transfer or disassembling and the stash.

Still, the idea is welcomed, since we already have something similar (albeit, one-way) for transferring items from Shop to the Quick Buy drop area: SHIFT + Shop item key.
    CTRL would be a lame key to use, but at least it's consistent with CTRL + Ability, as SHIFT already has a function (queue).

I am pretty sure you'd see a lot more cool item swapping stuff in professional play if you have hotkeys. Quickly checking out the roshpit with a full inventory and seeing he's at 5% and about to die? You have so many things you want to do and your mouse is busy casting and trying to snatch aegis that you can't really afford to use it to move one of your items to the backpack.

There's a reason we have item hotkeys too :P and moving items from backpack to inventory and vice versa will be clutch plays but having to resort to mouse movements is in most cases taking away time from walking, casting or targeting items on enemies.
    The King has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow4flo View Post
    I am pretty sure you'd see a lot more cool item swapping stuff in professional play if you have hotkeys. Quickly checking out the roshpit with a full inventory and seeing he's at 5% and about to die? You have so many things you want to do and your mouse is busy casting and trying to snatch aegis that you can't really afford to use it to move one of your items to the backpack.

There's a reason we have item hotkeys too :P and moving items from backpack to inventory and vice versa will be clutch plays but having to resort to mouse movements is in most cases taking away time from walking, casting or targeting items on enemies.
    It's a backpack, not 3 more inventory slots. Like I said, I'm somewhere in the middle about it - it's just another skillcap thing.
    If you can't answer a call in a timely fashion because you swapped your phone with the big camera from the backpack, and it's taking you a while to stop, take the backpack down, untie it, place the camera back and get the phone... it's your fault for not having it in your pocket, isn't it? Plus, you might drop it on the ground, cut yourself in your swiss army knife, spil hot coffee over it, but at least you made some crazy pictures, not?
    Call me crazy, but I want a thing or two left at chance - having hotkeys for this thing too will not leave room for errors anymore (at high skill).

That's not leaving things to chance it's distracting players from using spells or moving since their mouse has to be used for clunky inventory management.

This is not for me, since I can macro hotkeys for inventory management. It's a useful addition to avoid clunky inventory management and raise the skill ceiling of the game for all players. Also it's not that hard to add this to the game, 3 more hotkeys for backpack slots. Swapping would require a bit more work though.
    The King has arrived.

Since they added edge pan is disabled during dragging items and quite some people complained about not being able to move the camera when giving teammates items or selling items by dragging them to the shopkeeper etc.

Maybe only disable it in the backpack area:
    ou6nr4V.png
    The King has arrived.