Thread: February 6 Bot Update

Valve Developer

February 6 Bot Update

• Fixed GetUnitList() returning incorrect unit handles.

Basic Member
    Courier being idle in fountain also been fixed to returns the In Base state again!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    • Fixed GetUnitList() returning incorrect unit handles.
    Seems to be working properly again. Thanks!

Question about ActionQueueing:
    You named it a "queue" but is it really a queue in programming sense? I'm seeing behavior that does not conform to FIFO (first in, first out). For example my Lina has the code:

Code:
                    <IF SOME CONDITIONS ARE MET... DOESN'T MATTER>

npcBot:SetActionQueueing(true)
                    local nRadius = abilityLSA:GetSpecialValueInt( "light_strike_array_aoe" )
                    local nCastRange = abilityLSA:GetCastRange()
                    local dist = GetUnitToUnitDistance(npcBot, enemy)

if dist < (nCastRange + nRadius) then
                        npcBot:Action_UseAbilityOnLocation( abilityLSA, enemy:GetExtrapolatedLocation(0.95) )
                        npcBot:Action_UseAbilityOnLocation( abilityDS, enemy:GetLocation() )
                        npcBot:Action_UseAbilityOnEntity( abilityLB, enemy )
                        npcBot:Action_AttackUnit( enemy, false )
                    end
    Then she executes the combo... but it is usually Laguna Blade -> Light Strike Array -> Dragon Slave... so it is all over the place from the order I queued the actions. So what other considerations are done on the queue?

Valve Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by nostrademous View Post
    Then she executes the combo... but it is usually Laguna Blade -> Light Strike Array -> Dragon Slave... so it is all over the place from the order I queued the actions. So what other considerations are done on the queue?
    Looks like the small difficulty-based delays that are automatically added are interfering with queuing properly, which is definitely a bug.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Looks like the small difficulty-based delays that are automatically added are interfering with queuing properly, which is definitely a bug.
    Another quirk which had me debugging my bots for hours to find out something wasn't what I expected is the unit-scoped HasQueuedAction() which will return "true" anytime your bot is doing any action regardless of if SetActionQueueing() has been set to "true" or not. I expected the behavior to be that "HasQueuedAction()" return "true" if and only if I had SetActionQueueing() set to "true" AND the action queue was not empty.

What I believe is happening is that you guys always put any action onto the action queue and then use SetActionQueueing boolean to determine if to append to it or over-write the current action. In that case it is much more valuable for me to have a unit-scoped "NumQueuedActions()" which returns the size of my action queue.

Basic Member
    Another thing that's just surprising to me:

GetHeroLastSeenInfo( id ) returns a "nil"-equivalent (if not "nil" itself... guessing "{}") if you have not yet seen the enemy hero (so at start of game before you get first-time vision) rather than a properly initialized empty table. What I mean is I expected to get a {time=-1000, location=Vector(0,0,0)} or something like that... instead I get {} so if I try to check the .time or .location it throws an error until the first time I see the hero.

EDIT: Running a quick test I verified it returns "nil" and not even a "{}".
    Last edited by nostrademous; 02-08-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nostrademous View Post
    Another thing that's just surprising to me:

GetHeroLastSeenInfo( id ) returns a "nil"-equivalent (if not "nil" itself... guessing "{}") if you have not yet seen the enemy hero (so at start of game before you get first-time vision) rather than a properly initialized empty table. What I mean is I expected to get a {time=-1000, location=Vector(0,0,0)} or something like that... instead I get {} so if I try to check the .time or .location it throws an error until the first time I see the hero.

EDIT: Running a quick test I verified it returns "nil" and not even a "{}".
    Try having it run once right when the strategy phase has ended. The fog isn't in place during the versus screen so you can fill a few initial enemy caches during that time. Granted, having it return dummy info would be better formatting, but it's at least a work around.

Valve Developer
    That makes sense, I'll have it return { time=-1.0, location=Vector(0,0,0) } if you've never seen the hero.