Thread: A few question about vague function names

Basic Member

A few question about vague function names

Hello,

I wanted to start and have a look at the custom game API and noticed that entities have these 2 functions. What's the difference? I assume GetAbsOrigin() is the current entity location, but then, what would GetOrigin() be?
    Unfortunately the wiki is very vague. I come from the Bot Scripting forum and unfortunately, the D2 bot API has different function names (f.e. GetLocation() gets the curent coords, courier is handled differently etc.). Trying to map what I know from there on what I can guess in here, but the API is so much bigger in the custom games section.

Thanks
    Explanations on the normal, high and very high brackets in replays: here, here & here
    Why maphacks won't work in D2: here

https://moddota.com/forums/discussio.../#Comment_7472 , also GetAbsOrigin() works on both client and server.

Basic Member
    Ah, thank you, thank you

So I noticed that beetles are examples of attached entities .
    What's other parent-child example in term of entities in the DOTA universe? Is it clone related ? Do pets count? (CM's decorative puppy or Bristle's armadillo). Or must it be something that is literally dependent on another entity's position to actually move? Let's say a skateboard - if such an object would exist in DOTA
    What about Undy's zombies?

Normally I think of bones when I hear talking about parents and attachments (and other skeletal mesh related topics), not entities Do cosmetics count as entities? (let's say Invo's orb wisps)

Quote Originally Posted by KreeG View Post
    also GetAbsOrigin() works on both client and server.
    Since you specifically mentioned that, I assume GetOrigin() is server-side only, correct?
    Last edited by The Nomad; 05-29-2017 at 08:09 AM.
    Explanations on the normal, high and very high brackets in replays: here, here & here

What's other parent-child example in term of entities in the DOTA universe?
    I'm not sure how it works in DOTA, but when I tried to recreate Riki's Ultmate with scepter I used parenting.
    Do pets count?
    I don't know how they implemented but I guess it's just npc with own script.

Do cosmetics count as entities?
    Yes, "dota_item_wearable".

Invo's orb
    I guess it's just particles that attached to bones of hero.

server-side only
    Yes.

Basic Member
    Thank you for your patience and answers And SetOwner() ? Is that for summoned/dominated units ? (i.e. the "owner" of the "minion" - that's what they're called in the Bot API - is f.e. Druid vs Spirit Bear or Enigma vs Eidelons)

Yes