Thread: 70 -> 30fps drop every couple minutes, any ideas ?

70 -> 30fps drop every couple minutes, any ideas ?

I asked a couple questions, trying to explain my issue, but I dunno where the issue is hidden, Why does it act like that. It's a clean install on windows and a clean dota install with Lenovo Y50-70.

I had the exact same issue with my previous laptop I bought this one for dota

Nobody has helped me, and I turned around the internet and i have no answer, I'm in the f*cking deep, wondering wtf

Basic Member
    try different run parameters (through game settings in steam):
    -dx9
    -dx11
    -vulkan
    -gl

See if it disappears on any of them

Edit: dx9 doesn't help, -gl makes it 9 fps or so, which is supposed to help. Laptop is not overheating. 80-85C
    It's odd I have the same problem, with a brand new machine, but was fine, before the performance patch. It's brainfucking
    Edit2: 25-30 fps while WATCHING is acceptable, while playing 25 feels like 5 The fps drop is for 1 min to 2 min every couple minutes
    ** IMPORTANT FPS is 70-90 when Core Temp is >90C . FPS Drops to 25 when the it cools it down to 80.

Basic Member
    That is why I don't like playing on laptops...
    You did not say anything on -dx11 or -vulkan. Personally I think -dx11 or no parameter at all is better. It gives smoother performance.

There is also another thing to consider: cpu/gpu thermal throttling. If your CPU/GPU overheats, it can decrease voltage and clocks. Try playing Dota (or anything else) and when you see such fps drops -- alt+tab to any software that can show you voltage/clock speed graphs. Generally it comes with motherboards. If you see sudden downpikes -- it is throttling. In that case consider better cooling.

Basic Member
    Those temperatures are pretty high, it seems likely your graphics card or cpu is throttling in order to cool down. I would try getting a laptop tray with a fan. They can reduce temperatures by a decent amount, maybe enough for you to play a game and let it cool down between games.
    "It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."
    Io, the Guardian Wisp