Thread: Bot stops moving after death

Basic Member

Bot stops moving after death

I'm having a strange issues that I've never come across before. When my bot dies and is revived at the ancient, it just idles there, even if the code for its current mode would not allow for that to happen. I am seeing something weird in the console though, a constant stream of
    Code:
    [Client] ProcessTick: delta 3 (32262 - 32265), loss 0% bps 17088, deltaTick 32262
    , so I'm wondering if that's connected in some way. I do check if the bot is idling, and if it is, I have it move back to where it's supposed to be, which is why I'm confused as to why this is happening. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Playing on the enemy team, sneaking into base and getting close to the bot triggers it to start moving again. It's strange because it doesn't change the bot's mode as I've removed attack/retreat modes for testing, so I'm not sure what triggers it to suddenly move again.
    Last edited by Filip; 07-03-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Basic Member
    Does it have a target set? I had a bug once where my bot queued up a sequence of actions to take on enemy target and died doing them and set in base trying to finish the sequence but couldn't because it no longer had vision of target so could get in range to execute actions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    EDIT: Playing on the enemy team, sneaking into base and getting close to the bot triggers it to start moving again. It's strange because it doesn't change the bot's mode as I've removed attack/retreat modes for testing, so I'm not sure what triggers it to suddenly move again.
    This stopping and then triggering movement again by another hero coming close is somewhat common as far as i have found.
    For me it is usually around the secret shop on radiant (i usually test on radiant), sometimes for no reason they will buy their item and then just stand there, pinging them doesnt help, but if anyone from either side gets close, it will break them free.
    it seems for me that it may be because of lengthy scripts and high VM memory usage coupled with a machine which doesnt seem to run DOTA so brilliantly ( but is not low powered).

are you doing complete takeover or are you running mostly default with some takeover?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I'm having a strange issues that I've never come across before. When my bot dies and is revived at the ancient, it just idles there, even if the code for its current mode would not allow for that to happen. I am seeing something weird in the console though, a constant stream of
    Code:
    [Client] ProcessTick: delta 3 (32262 - 32265), loss 0% bps 17088, deltaTick 32262
    , so I'm wondering if that's connected in some way. I do check if the bot is idling, and if it is, I have it move back to where it's supposed to be, which is why I'm confused as to why this is happening. Any thoughts?

this console output happens for me when i use host_framerate or timelimit variables to increase game speed. but staying idle in base, should related to your code.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the replies! @Nostrademous, I checked and the bot doesn't have a target, but I'll keep that in mind as I think I've encountered that in the past. @Yavimaya, I'm doing mode override but am thinking of doing full takeover as I feel I'll have more control that way. The computer I'm using doesn't have any issues with Dota though, so it doesn't seem to be that. @Sikim, I just checked and it seems to be tied to the host_timescale that I'm using as well, so it's probably nothing, although it didn't used to come up before the 30th patch. That console output prints non-stop if I alt-tab to another window though, very strange.

I'll keep testing and post back what I come up with!

Here is what I would do to find the bug:

- Use dota_bot_debug_team 2 or 3 in console
    - See which mode is active when the bot is idle
    - See why the mode is active from the Desire function of that mode
    - See what is the command that the bot is executing while idle
    - Print something in multiple places of the Think function of that mode to see which part is issuing the command and why

The idle bot problem after death sometimes is caused by not disabling retreat mode properly.

Edit: that spam in the console is not related to your code. Valve is probably trying to debug/test something.
    Last edited by Platinum_dota2; 07-06-2017 at 07:50 AM.