Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Missing programmers or did something happen?

^ Same and same

new job combined with running a fantasy-dota website, which needed new features for TI.
    Post-TI hopefully I get back to contributing more

I also had same plan as you, of just doing moduley type thing rather than make my own fully functional bots.
    I've literally abandoned my personal bot and will just be contributing to issues/other peoples bots from now on.
    Seems to be the only way for the bot making community to make real progress.

It's also quite awkward from a developing stand-point. It's hard to gain momentum when trying to do complicated parts of the game well.
    Because you find that what you're trying is not possible (or sensible) without an API-call. So you're in the zone making a lot of progress, and then you suddenly can't do any work for a week, whilst you wait for your request to be added.
    This should be less and less of a problem though as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by TheP1anoDentist View Post
    ^ Same and same

new job combined with running a fantasy-dota website, which needed new features for TI.
    Post-TI hopefully I get back to contributing more

I also had same plan as you, of just doing moduley type thing rather than make my own fully functional bots.
    I've literally abandoned my personal bot and will just be contributing to issues/other peoples bots from now on.
    Seems to be the only way for the bot making community to make real progress.

It's also quite awkward from a developing stand-point. It's hard to gain momentum when trying to do complicated parts of the game well.
    Because you find that what you're trying is not possible (or sensible) without an API-call. So you're in the zone making a lot of progress, and then you suddenly can't do any work for a week, whilst you wait for your request to be added.
    This should be less and less of a problem though as time goes on.
    I also have similar issues and time constraints. I don't expect ChrisC to add everything right away (and yes this is an issue that inevitably kills momentum), but I expect a rough time estimate from Valve saying when (or whether) the things we ask for will be added (to be fair we sometimes get something like this from them). Everyone is super busy, and not knowing which suggestions will be implemented and when makes it a lot harder to plan accordingly.

After many weeks and many messages (public and private) I still don't even know whether the navigation (more advanced path-finding) modules/functions I asked for will be added (which are crucial for me and also cannot be implemented effectively/efficiently with the current API).

also I deliberately avoided spending too much of my time on this, whilst the API is new.

It's something that's really interesting for me, and something I want to be messing about with and enjoying years from now.

So worst thing to do is just overdo-it and get burnt out/pissed off.

To be honest, the help we've received from ChrisC kind of surpasses my expectations of Valve, knowing how thin they spread themselves with all the things they do as a company

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheP1anoDentist View Post
    also I deliberately avoided spending too much of my time on this, whilst the API is new.

It's something that's really interesting for me, and something I want to be messing about with and enjoying years from now.

So worst thing to do is just overdo-it and get burnt out/pissed off.

To be honest, the help we've received from ChrisC kind of surpasses my expectations of Valve, knowing how thin they spread themselves with all the things they do as a company
    It seems that ChrisC is alone in bot scripting API development. however, this is not logical that there is no group of valve developers working on API. Like as DOTA 1, when an evolution occurs in game framework, bugs and Deficiencies are always harras everyone.
    but what i saw in this forum, most of programmers working on item build and ability usage of heroes, rather than decision making and tactical teamwork. yesterday I was watching bot games via dota_spectator_auto_spectate_bot_games and I found all scripts was ovveriding minor details of default bots, that's wierd. Undying, Abbadon, Huskar, Winter Wyvern, Shadow shaman and some others are the main picks. default bots cannot handle these heroes ability and their vigor in game. for example in one game, courier tried to deliver gem for omniknight but all omniknight's backpack slots was full and courier chased him whole the time.

for reach a suitable and ideal team, developers needs to create new algorithm, facing major issues in teamfight, super push, item handling and etc. If you believe that "the help we've received from ChrisC kind of surpasses my expectations of Valve, knowing how thin they spread themselves with all the things they do as a company", I hope this is not be right in dota 2 team.

Just keep patience, everything will be in place soon.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitor_stwr View Post
    I agree! I'm always lazy to edit bot talent lines when an in-game upgrade comes along and modifies the hero's talent tree. I imagine how tiring it must be for those who edit all the commands from the beginning.
    And I did not know there were bot tournaments on Starcraft. Does it happen in Starcraft 2?
    There is a new API GetTalents() to get talent name. So you needn't edit bot talent lines forever! (Although I have another way to solve this problem)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fandogh View Post
    In old days (dota1) instead of several sole developers, there were just one team that worked on AI. so each people focus on sth. but now each developer should write everything (from buying stuff to upgrading, roaming, ganking, last hitting etc.)

This means LOT's of work. Its quite natural that After some time, many of these developers will lose interest and focus on sth else.

I know that valve spend LOTs of money on events and esports (even cosplay!) but I think its time to spend a little on AI to.

You know the current pool on International is 20M+ each year. what if Valve spend 5 percent on these money on a side AI vs AI tournaments in International.

Or give this money to any AI that could beat (or at least destroy a rax or even a tower!!) the champion of the tournament. (AI vs Human)

Or even design Just an "Aegis of AI" and give it to best AI of year (Little expense for Valve!!)

In this fashion there could be chances that AI developers (or even fund raisers!) spend more time on AI.
    I agreed too. Valve should push the AI develpment.
    About the bot scripting, I'm just a little lazy than before. But I'm keeping update the bot script in the traditional bot engineering way.