Thread: Item ability name suggestions

Item ability name suggestions

1. Quelling Blade/Battle Fury: Chop Tree/Ward -> Chop

Reason: Consistency with Iron Talon, shorter name. The description should tell what it can target.

2. Moon Shard: Consume -> Infuse

Reason: Consume doesn't sound fitting for shards, and implies that it's working on self only. Infuse fits the moon theme more (infuse the power of the moon into the target), and is more fitting in regards that you can infuse allies (making them consume it sounds weird).

3. Buckler: Armor Bonus -> Bolster, Resilience, Armor Up, Protect

Reason: "Armor Bonus" is too direct. It's more fitting as a trait line, instead of ability name.

4. Tranquil Boots: Break -> Dwindle, Impair, Wane

Reason: "Break" is the name of the mechanic which disables passive abilities. The boot's effect is unrelated to that.

5. Refresher Orb: Reset Cooldowns -> Refresh, Renovate

Reason: "Reset Cooldowns" is too direct and long. Refresh would also reference the cheat command -refresh, which basically does the same.

6. Octarine Core: Cooldown Reduction -> Arcane Haste, Arcane Surge, Octarine Arcanery

Reason: Same as with Refresher Orb, name is too direct.

7. Hood of Defiance: Barrier -> Lesser Barrier

Reason: Using same logic as Desolator/Blightstone. HoD's effect is a weaker non-aoe version of Pipe's effect, but currently has the exact same name.

Please, just call me buny.

Basic Member
    Hi!

Interesting but... Lots of people like me have bad english skills. If I read Dota 2 in wikipedia in english I can better understand the current item descriptions. I can't understand those word's what you are writing. Need to google that...

"Bolster, Resilience, Arcane Haste, Arcane Surge, Octarine Arcanery, Infuse"

Ok I can translate if I want but these are not basic english words. But I understand your logic.

These are only ability names. The effects are still described as normal. You shouldn't just look at an ability name to see what an ability does. Most abilities have fancy names which don't really tell you what the ability does (e.g. soul burn, valor, arctic blast, etc).

And the names I suggested are still quite easy. For example, you probably do know about arcane rune and you dou know about haste rune, so figuring out what arcane haste would be shouldn't be difficult.

Ability descriptions should be easy to understand, while names should rather sound good.
    Please, just call me buny.