Thread: Running Addon/Custom Game from command line

Basic Member

Running Addon/Custom Game from command line

I've been searching for a way to load an Addon from the command line on a dedicated server. Currently I can load the normal game just fine, and run bot scripts, but I'd like access to the full Addon APIs for the AI.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I've tried various combinations of -addon -enable_addons -override_vpk and such but they don't seem to work for me.

If it's not possible I could maybe ask in the official sticky thread if such a thing is possible, but wanted to see if anyone knew first.

+dota_launch_custom_game my_custom_game my_custom_map

But I think you got your stuff mixed up.
    Workshop bot scripts are isolated, you don't have access to other APIs by design.
    What you could do, is make a custom game, then add custom bots support to the custom game i.e. implement the AI in the custom game.

Basic Member
    Unfortunately dota_launch_custom_game seems to be a special command that only works in some cases:

Unknown command or convar 'dota_launch_custom_game'!

It may be conflicting with the -dedicated flag I'm using to prevent loading client / art assets / rendering.

I'm aware of the differences between bot scripts and custom games - we'd like access to the full API for addons instead of the limited APIs for bots. In this case making an addon / custom game and adding custom bots to that is exactly what I'm trying to do.

It's indeed missing from the -dedicated console (only 2405 cvars available) but it is referenced. Might be an oversight, might be intentional as Valve are known to hinder any kind of LAN capability.

Basic Member
    Thanks. I'll ask for a feature request.