Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Dota like online poker

Basic Member

[Suggestion] Dota like online poker

Firstly, sorry for my tragic english.

I've got idea which I would like to share, idea which could revolutionize e-sports in the world or at least bring it to the whole new level of gaming.

From my long experience in online gaming (not only dota) I came to the idea, which could be a really cool feature for people like me. There are many problems with e-sports. One of them is big limitation for new players, there almost no such thing like low-mid-pro-gamers. You can play e-sports and be big fish, or you can play almost casualy. I once played a tournament (League of Legends), it was really small, price pool wasn't great, but that wasn't problem for fnatic, who was playing there and was dominating everyone.

It's mainly because there are there are only few tournaments per month, so pro teams have time to play almost each one of them. But what if there were not one tournamnet per week/month, but ten, or maybe houndred OR THOUSAND per day?

And it's not so hard to make, let's just have to take example from... online poker! Make platform for people where they could make their OWN tournament. Let's look at this visualisation.

Everyday at 7:50PM there is deadline for registration for tournament. Till 8PM your system make the schedule. At 8PM first round is starting. and till the 12PM you can play at least 3 rounds (the details are not important now). 3 rounds, in standard tournament system, means 8 teams competenting. Now let them pay for entry, for example 5$ per team, so now we got 40$ prize pool. Winner team get 30$, second place 10$. Of course, there are infinite possibilities. You could make houndreds of tournaments every day with many different entry fee, like in online poker. People could play for 1$ per team, for 5$ or for 100$. And this tournaments could be played in one day, or big awesome tournament lasting a week, even month, where there would be 200 or 2000 amateur teams, where entry fee would be just 5$ per team, so the prize pool would be 1000$ to 10000$! And at the same moment there could be five, or ten different standard tournaments, so there would be no possibility for real pro gamers to dominate them, they would be propably busy with higher, bigger stakes, for example 50$ (or more!) per team.

And there is of course place for Valve. If there is a 50$ prize pool in 1$ entry fee, then lets share it between teams, of course. 30$ per first place, 10$ for second place, 5$ for third... and 5$ to Valve. They can take, lets say 10% per tournament, or 1%, or whatever. What interesting, is this way they could solve some issues with monetizing DOTA2. No F2P, no P2P, but something completely new. Or this could be a simple addition to their business model, like auction house in Diablo 3(?).

Of course whole this idea is just an addition to really AWESOME game DOTA2. There are many things that can be polished, like meta-tournaments, where winning small tournaments would make make people earn points, which let them qualify into bigger tournaments, gives free entries into higher stakes and many more. And if you don't want to pay for tournaments? Then don't! Play with thousands other people simple matchmaking, participate in standard ladder, or league, whatever Valve is planning. In my opinione, after official release, there would be at least 500000 people playing this game, if only 10% would join the tournaments, the case would be incredible. I bet you heard when Riot from LoL boasted that they have over 30 millions of accounts and more than one million online players everyday. I'm 100% sure, that Vlave can do better than that, but let's be "pessimistic" with the numbers.

Anyway, from my perspective, this would be a great chance for average players to try make something more from our hobby and (just a little ;]) addiction.

THANKS if you read it all, I hope that this wall of text was understandable. And i hope that this idea which in my mind looks like a something crazy, big, awesome thing it's not completely stupid.

Basic Member
    nowadays we have admins for every tournament.
    for this we would need MANY admins every day, cause dota isnt that static like poker rulewise.
    or you make no rules and when a player disconnects, one team has lagg or other issues, they have to play or defwin for other team.

but still nice idea, maybe one day practicable.

Im all for this.

Basic Member
    I belive to remember a similar project, a homepage for tourney hosting with entree fees and multiple games(the biggest), must have been around 2008. I also belive to remember that it was a complete flop, i dunno why, i have no idea about their numbers or mistake they made, but i think u TO should research it. I ll post here again in case i remember more details or the url, which i doubt.

Basic Member
    I think this may count as online gambling, which may make it unavailable in some countries/states in US.

All the logistics/legalities aside, sounds like an interesting idea.

Basic Member
    I personally think this is an awesome Idea

Being a highly competitive player (as in a sense that I love tournaments, I enjoy competition, not that I'm a pro or something), I'd love the idea of automated amateur tournaments

Having a real money prize pool would be a plus as well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daarkside View Post
    I belive to remember a similar project, a homepage for tourney hosting with entree fees and multiple games(the biggest), must have been around 2008. I also belive to remember that it was a complete flop, i dunno why, i have no idea about their numbers or mistake they made, but i think u TO should research it. I ll post here again in case i remember more details or the url, which i doubt.
    I never heard about this before. I can guess that they failed because of... marketing? maybe many people thought that they are not legit? Valve got extremly huge potential in this case, they got whole infrastucture. There is already steam wallet so money wont be problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeAsian View Post
    I think this may count as online gambling, which may make it unavailable in some countries/states in US.

All the logistics/legalities aside, sounds like an interesting idea.
    Don't know how in the rest of the world, but in my country "gambling" is pretty much defined - "a random game" such a slot machine or roulette. I don't think Dota is random ;x (except for ogre ;D)

Basic Member
    Cool idea, T-up!

However, I have some doubts how would it look like from different countries' law point of view...

Basic Member
    --
    Last edited by darkeyx10; 02-19-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Basic Member
    Wow, that's a pretty awesome idea! Tho tbh I think you should send an email to Gabe first, this way no one could steal your idea.