Thread: Getting the L/R sliders on facial flexes working (SetStereoControl bug)

Basic Member

Question Getting the L/R sliders on facial flexes working (SetStereoControl bug)

Hey guys -

I'm on a crew that's currently making HWM Dota 2 models. We've encountered an issue with stereo flexes (The ability to animate one side of the face but not the other). We know that none of the default Dota 2 characters use it, but it is there. We've imported a custom model with morphs. Without stereo it works just fine. We can animate his face.

But if we import him WITH Stereo, we're frustratingly 50% off. We can freely animate his right side. And we absolutely cannot do that with his left. Even though the option is there. Here's a demonstration:

and also check out this:

https://i.imgur.com/eS5Kzkx.gifv

This model was made specifically to test stereo controls. Ignore the actual content of the morph. It's supposed to stretch the face like that.

The model was exported from Blender, using BlenderSourceTools to get the Advanced 'Flex' Properties. We imported the DMX to Source 2 with the Model Editor, like normal.

What's frustrating is that in SFM 1, this model does work. It has independent left and right flexes.

Is this a bug in Source 2? Or are we just doing something wrong in the export?

Ooooh boy I hope it's the latter.

Here's the model if you guys want to check it out yourself.
    https://sta.sh/0v4wgjtzp67

Erick
    Last edited by EDJE; 01-03-2018 at 04:02 AM.

Valve Developer
    Are you sure you shared the correct dmx file?

I took a look at saxton_head_out.dmx, and the combinationOperator doesn't have any left_ or right_ controls, just CloseLid, InnerSquint, etc, so it looks like an export issue. Similarly, the DmeMesh's deltaStates have CloseLid, InnerSquint, etc, but no left_ or right_ deltas. There are also a lot of unreferenced deltas, including WrinkleNose.

(You can view a dmx file in the SFM's element viewer - just create an empty session, right click on miscBin in the Element Viewer, and select Import Element)