Thread: Assertion failed on ListenSocket

Basic Member

Assertion failed on ListenSocket

Native bot games result in this spam in the console:
    [SteamNetSockets] csteamnetworkingsockets.cpp (139) : Assertion Failed: pResult && pResult->m_hListenSocketSelf == sock
    [SteamNetSockets] csteamnetworkingsockets.cpp (139) : Assertion Failed: pResult && pResult->m_hListenSocketSelf == sock
    Please fix!
    Explanations on the normal, high and very high brackets in replays: here, here & here
    Why maphacks won't work in D2: here

Basic Member
    True, but I'd rather they just fix it :P The issue drops frames from bot games behind the scenes

P.S. that Panorama debugger hotkey stopper works like a charm to this day thanks for that!
    Explanations on the normal, high and very high brackets in replays: here, here & here

The console itself leaks just by sitting there, and exponentially when receiving text ever since the move to source2 and was never properly fixed, probably because reddit-level players don't even have it enabled. But this csteamnetworkingsockets.cpp thing I don't think is up to the Dota team to fix as it happens in other games too.
    I usually disable all output except what I'm interested in to have clear logs anyway.
    Spoiler: 
    Code:
    // disable console / log spam
    log_verbosity Console General off | grep %
    log_verbosity "AnimationSystem: IK" ClientMessages DeveloperVerbose General IME InstantReplay LOADING NetSteamConn Networking SignonState ToolGameSimulation WeekendTourney off
    log_verbosity "BitBuf Error" "Entity Dump" Demo DOTAHLTVDirector Filesystem HangWatchdog NetworkServerService Panel ResourceSystem SaveRestore SoundOpGameSystem Workshop off
    log_verbosity "Combat Analyzer" Client CommandLine CustomUI DownloadManager EmitSound EngineInitialization Host NetworkService SndOperators ToneMapping VguiCallQueue VR off
    log_verbosity "Entity Load Unserialize" AnimationSystem Developer DOTAHLTVCamera RenderPipelineVr RenderService RenderSystem SoundOperatorSystem SpawnGroup SplitPacket Vfx off
    log_verbosity "Entity System" "Networking Reliable" CustomNetTable DOTA_CHAT HostStateManager ModelCombiner NavMesh ParticlesLib PostProcessPipeline ScenePrint SoundSystem off
    log_verbosity "HLTV Server" AnimationGraph BoneSetup DeveloperConsole InputService MeshSystem modellib RenderPipelineDota SceneSystem SteamUnifiedMessages VScriptScripts off
    log_verbosity AnimResource InputSystem NetworkClientService Panorama Physics PostProcessing SchemaSystemUtils Server ServerLog SteamNetSockets stringtables WorldRenderer off
    log_verbosity Assert CustomGameCache DotaGuide MaterialSystem SaveRestoreIO SchemaSystem SndEmitterSystem SoundSystemLowLevel SplitScreen Steam VProf VScript VScriptDbg off
    log_verbosity Console Decals EngineServiceManager GameEventSystem GCClient GlobalState NetworkP2PService PanoramaScript Particles TypeManager UserMessages VolumetricFog off
    log_verbosity Console Developer DeveloperConsole DeveloperVerbose SoundOperatorSystem SndOperators SndEmitterSystem off
    //cherry-pick channels to re-enable from above
    log_verbosity Console General Client Networking NetworkService NetworkClientService SplitPacket VScript VScriptDbg PanoramaScript default | grep %
    log_verbosity Panorama essential | grep %
    //some errors are spewed in the General channel and can only be silenced by setting it's verbosity to essential (and losing important output in the process)

Don't know if you've seen the update on that topic - you no longer need a client side mod or launch options
    (-nobreakpad is needed only if triggering the previous compendiums pages from my preset as those cause - surprise - steamsocket error after closing Dota).

Basic Member
    Well today's patch seems to have fixed it

Even if it's a shared lib, it should still be fixed. Such bugs are just lazy coding otherwise. If nobody reports them then they'll never get fixed. So today I saw that they actually read even the dumb stuff I post :P

Thanks Valve

Basic Member
    The problem returned, but I am not sure if it's caused by the Feb 13 or 14 patch.

Edit: fixed in 7.09
    Last edited by The Nomad; 02-15-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Basic Member
    It seems the problem is fixed only when the game starts and you play you first bot game. Each new bot match will spam this. Please fix!