Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to change main language?

Basic Member

How to change main language?

I am Ukrainian and for me English is not comfortable to speak, I prefer Russian.
    But i use English client for Steam and Dota2 because for me original descriptions is better, translation sometimes has mistakes.

So here is the problem.
    When i setup my matchmaking I do not have option to choose my main language, only locked English as my main.
    As a result a lot of English-speaking teammates in my team and this ruins our experiences.

Can you guys make something to change this in future?
    Or maybe i just did not find options for this?

Try launch options: -language english -textlanguage russian +cl_language english
    It's not fully supported in the sense that in-game skills and items descriptions will be in russian, but everything else (main menu, buttons) will remain in english.
    But by being so it confirms the matchmaking language does get applied - since these descriptions are networked..

Basic Member
    Ty, but i need all ingame text to be English, especially skills.

Basic Member
    Holy crap! So much code. A bit scary to launch it

Will check it after work.

Basic Member
    Sitting at work, viewing the code.
    I even understand something at start
    Anyway i have some questions.
    From this code do i realy need all of that? For example "-single_core". Or "-windowed" (I already have noborder window in dota settings) etc.
    Code:

:: Restart Steam with fast options
    set l1=-silent -console -forceservice -windowed -nobigpicture -nointro -vrdisable -single_core -no-dwrite -tcp
    set l2=-inhibitbootstrap -nobootstrapperupdate -nodircheck -norepairfiles -noverifyfiles -nocrashmonitor -noassert
    start "Steam" "%STEAMPATH%\Steam.exe" %l1% %l2%
    Also should i run this after dota updates?
    And it would be great if you'll be so kind to short explain what will happen when i launch this .bat, but feel free to omit this if you are busy/lazy/thinking_i_am_one_more_stupid_newbie_who_deserve_n othing_:rage:

Offtop
    Spoiler: 
    Are you already working for Valve?

Spoiler: 
    #1 the code is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and noninfringement. in no event shall the authors or copyright holders be liable for any claim, damages or other liability, whether in an action of contract, tort or otherwise, arising from, out of or in connection with the code or the use or other dealings in the code.
    #2 Since the script kills Steam, I've added that part to re-launch it, for convenience. Parameters are added just on the batch command line, does not affect your Steam shortcut. It has nothing to do with Dota 2 options and can be commented out with no ill effects.

#3 No, there is no need to run after Dota 2 updates, since it does not replace any files, but just generates new empty localization that falls back to English.

#4 Not the place for "explaining" how a PC, Windows, registry, cmd, batch file works, what some commands do and etc - there are books you could read for that.
    It's supposed to be simple: you have an issue, you're desperate for any help, some guy gives you a pastbin link to a batch file. Now you either trust the guy, or you don't. You could check past submissions, the non-anonymous pastebin folder for anything else potentially malicious shared in the past, etc. Or you could just take a leap of faith and click the respective link on pastebin, hit download button, click to open downloaded file, follow the instructions (most batch files I author come with instructions both in the text and presented at runtime).
    It won't directly blow up your pc after clicking it - that's for sure. Bulk of the file is just supporting functions to open a vdf configuration file safely, editing text, etc. Generate localizations files. Add launch options. Done. zip with generated files

Basic Member
    I did not say "I do not trust you" or "Teach me cmd, java and vbs" . I used your optimization and autoexec.cfg guide before, works perfectly, also you was around at some other cases.
    I just wanted to understand whats going on there and your explanation is just perfect and more than enough!
    Big thanks, have a nice day and happy V. day <3

Basic Member
    JScript compiling error: Syntax error
    Last edited by gor; 02-14-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Hence why I've also shared the generated files in a zip file so you can do it manually if script fails (there are always issues with scripts under localized os such as ru). Did a quick update on the script too, download and run it again (not sure it fixed anything, did it from my phone).