Thread: Hold Select Hero to Follow + Click and Drag Camera Bug

Basic Member

Hold Select Hero to Follow + Click and Drag Camera Bug

Summary:
    If you hold your hotkey you use to select hero, and the option to "Hold Select Hero to Follow" is on, then you move camera using middle mouse + drag, when you use your hero hotkey to select your hero again, your hero will be off centre. The camera will be the same distance and direction in relation to your hero, as when you had moved the camera while the hero hotkey was held.
    Repro Steps:
    1.Turn on Hold Select Hero to Follow in options
    2.Hold the select hero hotkey
    3.Move the camera using click + drag
    4.Release click and drag
    5.Release the select hero hotkey

Result:
    Whenever you press the select hero hotkey, your hero will be selected, but not in the middle of the screen.
    It can be quickly fixed by clicking middle mouse without the select hero hotkey held.

Expected Result:
    The select hero hotkey should also center the hero, even if camera was moved while the hotkey to select hero was held

Option is lame to begin with, as it only works with the main hero, not the current selected unit.
    You can disable that behavior (that should be called "offset camera") by entering into console: dota_camera_lock_view_helper 0 // or as a launch option: +dota_camera_lock_view_helper 0

See reference autoexec.cfg / tweaked user.cfg for a better implementation that can work not just with Hero, but with Control Groups as well, and any selected unit (even Courier) via a global hotkey (SPACE / MWHEELUP / APP / CAPSLOCK in cfg, must not be already used in GUI else get overriden).

Basic Member
    I tried dota_camera_lock_view_helper 0, but that completely disables moving camera with middle mouse while hotkey to follow hero is held.

Lightbulb Solved

Quote Originally Posted by ViologY View Post
    I tried dota_camera_lock_view_helper 0, but that completely disables moving camera with middle mouse while hotkey to follow hero is held.
    Again, see reference autoexec.cfg featuring my Innovative Camera Controls final concept.
    I've come up with a method to bind a key that will reset the offset (MOUSE4 or END set in the cfg mentioned above).
    You can get away with just entering this into console to have it, no need to get the whole cfg (but I highly recommend you to check it out):
    Code:
    // [END] or [MOUSE4] : OFFSET FOLLOW UNDO (IF CAMERA GRIP CHANGED IT)           applies instantly, even if not currently following
    bind MOUSE4 "toggle | +cameragrip +dota_camera_center_on_hero"//
    bind END "toggle | +cameragrip +dota_camera_center_on_hero"//