Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sudden drops from ~60 to <10 FPS at random times since Lycan patch

Basic Member

Exclamation Sudden drops from ~60 to <10 FPS at random times since Lycan patch

Edit: this issue has been resolved - it wasn't a performance issue with DOTA2, but simply my processor overheating during games, then underclocking itself, resulting in my FPS drops. Cleaning out all the dust has fixed the issue.

Original post:

Since the Lycan patch, I've been getting some big reductions/drops in my FPS at seemingly random times in games. I usually run around 50-60 FPS with pretty low settings, suddenly my FPS drops to 5-10, making the game almost completely unplayable. When this happens, I can get my FPS back to normal by waiting some minutes in game - but my FPS will just drop again sometime later, so I can't really play games without a ton of reconnecting. I've never had this problem before the Lycan patch, so I'm guessing it's a new performance issue.

Summary of the issue:
    Since the latest patch I'm getting severe FPS loss (from a constant 60 FPS to less than 10 FPS) at random times, for several minutes at a time.

I did a couple of bot games to test my problem, with the +showbudget command enabled to get an idea of what is going on:

Here's a screenshot of me having normal FPS: Dota fps normal.jpg
    Here's one after my FPS drops into the single digits: Dota fps low.jpg.
    In this case, my FPS dropped around 16 minutes in. In another game, it didn't happen until 27 minutes in - the timing seems random like that.
    When the drops happen, the DOTA2 client takes up way more CPU power than usually - 10-15% during normal performance, around 30% when my FPS drops.

PC specs (my PC is bad, but usually has no problem running the game smoothly at lowered settings):
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
    8gb ram
    Windows 7 64 bit, home premium
    Geforce GT 230
    30/3 mbit wired internet

I'd really love to have this problem fixed so I can play again, so please let me know if you need any other information from me. I've already tried reinstalling the game, messing with the settings, closing other programs etc. Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by Gnomocide; 04-11-2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Found the problem, was my processor overheating and underclocking itself

Basic Member
    having the same thing
    however mine is a sudden increase in ping
    (after the lycan patch come out)

Basic Member
    Now that you mention it, I haven't kept a good eye on my ping while the FPS drop occurs. I'll try recreating the issue again, this time with net_graph 3 enabled - that might give some more insight into the issue. As my second screenshot shows, the "Networking"-bar is definitely spiking during the FPS drop. Thanks for the reply mate, I appreciate it!
    Last edited by Gnomocide; 03-28-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Basic Member
    Reproduced the issue in a bot game, with +showbudget and net_graph 3.

Here's a screenshot of normal FPS: Dota normal.jpg

Here's a screenshot when the FPS drop happens: Dota low.jpg

My FPS stayed low for 2-3 minutes, then back to normal.

I wonder what Mat_ThreadedEndframe is, since that's the bar spiking the most during the FPS loss.
    Last edited by Gnomocide; 03-28-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Basic Member
    Bump, I still have this issue after the Sylla patch.

Basic Member
    Sounds like heat throttling. Basically, your CPU overheats and clocks itself down (causing lag), cools down for a few minutes and clocks itself back up again.

Basic Member
    That does sound really logical, and very fitting of my "symptoms" - and the fact that it started after the Lycan patch could be a mere coincidence. I'll try getting some temperature measurement software, maybe clean out my pc properly, and see if that is the root of the issue. Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by SomaZ View Post
    Sounds like heat throttling. Basically, your CPU overheats and clocks itself down (causing lag), cools down for a few minutes and clocks itself back up again.
    a cpu never ever underclocks itself because of a heat issue, if it is overheating then the whole system shuts down
    System #1 Spec for Bug Reporting:_____System #2 Spec for Bug Reporting:
    ----------------------------------------_______..----------------------------------------
    CPU: Intel Core Duo T2300______________.CPU: Intel I7-3770K
    GPU: ATI Mobility X1600_________________GPU: Nvidia GTX-670
    RAM: DDR2 667 2GB__________________iiRAM: DDR3 1600 16GB
    OS: Win7 Ultimate 32bit___________________Win7 Ultimate 64bit
    Res: 720p_______________________________.Res: 1080p

Net: 25Mbit/1,5Mbit

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tikshow View Post
    a cpu never ever underclocks itself because of a heat issue, if it is overheating then the whole system shuts down
    thats not true. almost all modern cpus will throttle down before overheating. your computer will shut down once it reaches dangerous temperature though (80-100c).

if he has an old cpu, motherboard, or bios, then it will not throttle down

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monster528 View Post
    thats not true. almost all modern cpus will throttle down before overheating. your computer will shut down once it reaches dangerous temperature though (80-100c).

if he has an old cpu, motherboard, or bios, then it will not throttle down
    Pretty much this. Modern CPU's will also throttle depending on demand, so your cpu will underclock itself when you are browsing the internet or just listening to music or something, to save power/heat/cycles.