Thread: Remove unit targeting from ground-targeted spells

Remove unit targeting from ground-targeted spells

Ther are a few spells that allow targeting a unit directly, so that the hero casts them towards their direction. This behavior, although having an advantage, has several disadvantages which in my opinion outweigh the advantage.

Spells with this behavior are:

1. Crypt Swarm
    2. Breathe Fire
    3. Dual Breath
    4. Dragon Slave
    5. Satyr Tormenter Shockwave
    6. Earth Spike
    7. Burrowstrike
    8. Sprout

The advantage of the current behavior: It is easier to land the spell on a target. You don't have to estimate where your target will be after the cast time of your spell, making it much easier to aim the spell, since your hero automatically "follows" the target during the cast time.

However, this is not an advantage against fast moving targets. The travel time of your spell causes your spell to miss the target this way, so it's not helpful.

The disadvantages of the current behavior:
    1. Sometimes, when there are big units on the screen, you end up targeting the wrong target because their giant models take priority over the ground. Examples are TB in meta form, of huge units like Doom or Underlord.
    2. When you try to a nuke a creep wave, but accidentally target a creep directly, when that targeted creep dies during the cast time, your cast will get canceled.
    3. Your spell also cancels when your target enters the fog of war even for a split second.
    4. Enemies can also cancel your cast by turning spell immune, invulnerable, hidden or invisible. Again, even just a split second is enough to cancel your cast.
    5. When you try to nuke a bunch of enemies, but your directly targeted enemy suddenly blinks away, your spell fires so that you only hit that one enemy, instead of your intended bunch of enemies (this is basically why unit targeting was removed for Sonic Wave)

Suggestion: Remove unit targeting for the named spells.

Video showing issues with current behavior

Please, just call me buny.

4 . Enemies can also cancel your cast by turning spell immune, invulnerable, hidden or invisible. Again, even just a split second is enough to cancel your cast.? I don't think it's an disadvantage because the caster can seek for the best spot to suddenly appear by using item such as dagger or hide behind a tree in order to make his sudden-appear cast to be successful.
    [ SEA & Western English are different ~ please understand ]
    [ If I accidentally insulted or post harmful content, please do notify me or remove it ]
    -